Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a WF-4630 & getting 0x9A error ... I've cleared any

Customer Question

hi, I'm Greg ... I have a WF-4630 & getting 0x9A error ... I've cleared any jams and debris I can see in the printer and attempted a reset .. power off for 5 min. the, hold down on button for 1 min plug in printer and continue to hold button for another 1 min ... still get 0x9A error...
JA: The tech wizards can certainly get you out of any jam. ;-) They know printers inside and out, and I'd love to connect you with the best one for the job. Do you know the make and model?
Customer: Work Force Pro WF-4630
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've cleared any jams and debris I can see in the printer and attempted a reset .. power off for 5 min. the, hold down on button for 1 min plug in printer and continue to hold button for another 1 min ... still get 0x9A error... also tried to reload firmware from computer - no joy...
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: when this happened, I was in the process of moving the printer to another location ... may have unplugged printer while it was attempting an upgrade???
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This message indicates a carriage fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Thanks,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?