John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

What would cause a printer to print the lines of a chart

Customer Question

What would cause a printer to print the lines of a chart perfectly but not print at all
the text within the chart? When the problem started the black ink read at about 1/3
full. After printing the lines it reads "need refill". Altogether, on this printer I have
printed perhaps 8 pages of anything. It is a new printer. I will be unable to purchase
ink if the ink can only print 8 pages. Epson XP 420.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

The black ink is, no doubt, not printing. (Sometimes this could be owing to a quirk, or a corrupted line of code, in the printer's driver software though.)

Try printing from a TextEdit or a Notepad document, a page or so. If it comes out blank, the black ink isn't printing for sure.

How new is the printer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The printer is approximately 10 months, very seldom used.

Thanks for the information.

What happens when you send the printer a black-text-only print from either TextEdit, or Notepad ?