Viet - Printer Tech
Viet - Printer Tech, Printer Technician
Experience:  Troubleshoot printers, scanners, etc.
30037186

Having a printing problem model MFC -J6720DW printing A4 ok

Customer Question

having a printing problem
model MFC -J6720DW
printing A4 ok
but when I select A3 in computer, printer will only print A4 then show a message printing data A3 check paper and press OK
done all that checking but still will not print A3
can you assist?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Viet - Printer Tech replied 4 months ago.

I'm sorry about the issue. After changing the Paper Size on the computer, please also change the paper size on the printer device with the following steps:

1. On the printer, press the Setup option (the wrench / screwdriver button.)
  2. Press the displayed paper size for Tray #1 or Tray #2.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • If you press the displayed paper size for Tray #1, press Paper Type. (Usually you want to use Tray 1)
      1. Swipe up or down, or press the Up or Down arrow key to display and press the paper type you want to set.
      2. Press Paper Size.
      3. Press the Up or Down arrow key to display and press the paper size you want to set, such as A3 or A4, etc.
    • If you press the displayed paper size for Tray #2, press Paper Size.
  4. Press the Home button.
  5. Then print and check.

Please reply at the box below to continue. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
thank you I have tried all you advised but still not working, as said before the printer will print A4 but not A3 as set b y the computer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
meant to say the printer was printing A3 yesterday, so do not know hat has happened in the meantime

I'm sorry. To confirm, you are able to set the Paper Size to A3 on both the computer's screen and the printer's screen.

; (Also, make sure the Paper Source / Tray is correct when printing from the computer.)

- Can you turn off the printer, then disconnect the power cord from the printer for a few minutes, then re-connect, and check?

- If needed, can you go to Settings, then All Settings, and see if there is any option to reset to factory / defaults (but do not reset the network option.)

- Do you have Windows XP, Vista, or 7, or 8 or 10, or Mac computer?

- Is the document you are printing set up with A3 size? Or is it in A4 or in a different size?

Please let me know. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
have turned off as instructed
as to printer settings there is a reset option, but it does not say "factory reset, just reset"
I am on a Mac version 10.11.5
the documents I am attempting to print are a A3 PDF
printed again but only printed A4 the printer showed an error saying to check paper tray which I have been doing.

Please select Reset option, then let me know what it shows next.

Also, is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
its connected wireless, I have turned off the modem and re-started a few times so far
when i puts reset it then gives me options
machine reset
network
address book and fax
all settings

Please select Machine reset and continue. Then select All settings, then let me know what it shows next. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok will do
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok have reset went thru date / time tray ect
did a test print no change

When you select All settings, what does it show?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the printer is saying
check paper size setting
or reload correct paper
then press OK
I am sure I have c]hecked as asked

Sorry. When you select All settings, what does it show?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
highlighted is
general setup
fax
network
print reports
machine info
initial setup

Exit it. Is the printer connected to the computer with a USB cable? Or is the connection wireless?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
wireless

Please try:

1. Click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on System Preferences.
  2. Then open Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax.)
  3. Then right-click (or Ctrl + click) on the printer list, then click on option Reset printing system and confirm Yes.
  4. Make sure printer is powered on.
  5. Click on the + (plus) button at bottom left, and then select your printer, then add it.
  6. Then see if it prints fine now.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
as I said before, it was printing A3 ok yesterday

Please try:

4. Make sure printer is powered on.
  6. Then see if it prints fine now.

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
could not see a "reset printing system" option, but deleted printer and added it back
test print the same
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the printer is only a few months old, so should not be a hardware problem I would have thought?

Sorry, in System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax), you need to right-click on the Brother printer, then you will see the Reset printing system option

, or you can hold the Control key on the keyboard while normal clicking on the Brother printer, then you will see the Reset printing system option.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
i suspect we are going to run out of options.
did the reset but still not printing A3

Sorry, one last thing we can try is updating the printer's driver and check. First, can you please click on the Apple logo / menu at the top, then click on About this Mac..., then tell me your Mac OS X version, such as 10.6, 10.7, etc.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
osx el capitian 10.11.5

Thank you. In System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax), delete the printer again.

, then download / install the file Brother_PrinterDrivers_Inkjet13v2_1_1_0.dmg at the website below:

http://download.brother.com/welcome/dlf102261/Brother_PrinterDrivers_Inkjet13v2_1_1_0.dmg

, then in System Preferences -> Printers & Scanners (or Print & Fax), click on the + (plus) button at bottom left to add the printer again, then check printing. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
no luck its a pain
it has got to be something simple as said is was printing ok yesterday

Sorry, it is strange. Please click on the websites below and check the paper is loaded correctly / check the paper guide / tray length:

- For the normal tray (tray 1):

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj6720dw_us_eu_as&faqid=faq00003167_001

- For the tray #2:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj6720dw_us_eu_as&faqid=faq00003167_000

- If needed, when printing from the computer, at the print dialog window, set the Paper Source (tray) to another tray (tray 1 and/or tray 2) and see if you can print.

- If needed, shut down / restart the computer, and check.

- If needed, see if you can print using the manual feeder slot (set the Paper Source to Manual at the print dialog window on the computer):

; How to load paper in manual feeder slot:

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj6720dw_us_eu_as&faqid=faq00002792_002

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
before i do all that
when i go into preferences a click on printer it shows
default paper size A4 is that correct?

Where is "Preferences" located?

Can you set default paper size to A3?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
system preferences after clicking on the apple logo

There, does it let you set the default paper size to A3?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
will look

OK, thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
it gives me many options one being A3

Set it to A3. Then make sure in preferences, it shows default paper size is A3. Then test printing A3 document. Thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
tried to print, printer still went to A4
with a message
wrong paper #1
then followed by check tray and paper size which i have done many times

Please try my other suggestion:

- Click on the websites below and check the paper is loaded correctly / check the paper guide / tray length:

- For the normal tray (tray 1):

- For the tray #2:

Please let me know. Thank you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I need to give up now, very tired, just came out of hospital 2 days ago after spine operation, will try you other suggestions tomorrow
thanks for your assist
will let you know how I go

You're welcome. No problem; please take your time. Thank you for your patience.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
how do I pick up on this tomorrow?

We've emailed you. Did you receive an email message from JustAnswer / Viet?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

You can get back to me at this web page tomorrow by clicking on the View Answer link in the email message from JustAnswer / Viet. Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
ok thanks

You're welcome.

How is it going? When you are available, please type at the box below, then click on the Send button below to communicate with me, so I can help further. Thank you,