Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

How do I clean or replace the ink absorber on my PIXMA

Customer Question

How do I clean or replace the ink absorber on my PIXMA MG5520?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

The short answer is that you can't, or at least shouldn't. They really are not designed to be serviced.

The ink absorber is a series of pads/tanks, which catch drips from the printhead when parked, and is also used for maintenance tasks like cleaning and purging.

Eventually this absorber fills up, and the printer shuts down operations, as continuing to operate it can result in ink overflowing the system, damaging your desk, flooring, etc

While it is sometimes possible to temporarily reset the counter, this is dangerous as the system will likely overflow. Cleaning/emptying/replacing the system is a difficult and messy process as well, best left to a qualified service technician.

Even if you manage to clean and replace the parts yourself, the issue will still not be resolved; the purge counter must be reset for the printer to function again, and that requries special software that is only available to service techs. This service is generally not practical though - it's going to run you $150-250 for repairs, which just isn't worth it for an older printer, even if you are only having them reset the counter.

This is a 3 year old model, that was built for a maximum service life of 3 years. If you have reached the point that the absorber has filled, then other wear items like the printhead, feed rollers, etc are also going to be at the end of their lives and need service/replacement soon.

Given the costs and complexity of fixing this issue, you'd be better off replacing the printer. You can get a brand new and better machine, with current technology and a fresh warranty, for about $80, which makes more sense than investing in the older machine.

I can recommend replacement options for you if you'd like, or if you'd prefer to try having it serviced or working on it yourself, I can advise further on those options. Replacement would be your best bet though, economically speaking.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, John?