Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

I am having trouble with my epson wp 4540 inkjet printer,

Customer Question

I am having trouble with my epson wp 4540 inkjet printer, with the rear feader for premium glossy paper, it gets jamed, or the ink comes out very watery, reguler white paper i have no problam
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is***** will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Perhaps the ink itself is not suitable. But, what paper stock are you using for glossy paper, first of all?

(And, are you using Canon OEM-original cartridges?)

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am using epson original ink, never had a problam. And Ikonicks inkjet film paper for positives and negatives,

How old is the printer in question?

The rollers might need cleaning, perhaps, to address the jamming problem.

You might want to go through your printer's driver settings, looking for 'drying time' and set it to a longer value, that might help with ink running or smearing.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thanks for your response, will go through your advise, and let you know the resolts

OK. Let me know how it turns out, if you would please.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
My printer is 2-3 years old.
Can i clean it myself ? and how? with water and soap?

If you need to do a head cleaning, look in the Maintenance tab of the driver settings for your printer.

In a Windows PC, that is accessed through

Control Panel

Devices and Printers

right-click on the printer's icon.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
when you wrote about the rollers cleaning, you ment a head cleaning? are they the same? i made already a head cleaning, didnt help, if not, how do i clean thr rollers ?

Here's how to clean the rollers:

If the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.