Richard, Technician
Experience:  Printer and scanner problem resolver for over 15 years
32989067

I have linked Brother MFC-J985DW printer to my MacBook Air

Customer Question

I have linked Brother MFC-J985DW printer to my MacBook Air OS El Capitan 10.11.5, but don't have ability to print
cannot use installer driver on laptop
When attempting print job, hit file>print>print> screen shows: "ready to print", "print", "connecting to printer - ready to print", and lastly: "printing - the printer is not responding"
kindly, and with thanks, ***** ***** have your ideas? nancy
Category: Printers
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Hi there Nancy and welcome

Can you tell me please how the printer is connected to the Mac? Via Wireless? Or a USB cable?

And has it worked before and stopped working?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have a USB cable - I've just bought a new cable in case the other had become defective... without good results. Have tried the other (the last) port on my laptop - again same results
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
This is a new printer/device to me and I have never been able to print from the internet or any applications in Finder
Expert:  Richard replied 5 months ago.

Thanks

Can you disconnected the printer please

Can you click the Apple Symbol, then system preferences.

Click on printer and click on the printer and click the - symbol to remove it.

Then download the driver from my link below

http://support.brother.com/g/b/downloadtop.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfcj985dw_us_eu_as

Then run the installation, connecting it when it tells you to and once done, tell me if it then prints

I can also do these steps for you, and have made a request via Additional Services. This is optional, and if you choose to do this, I can, with your permission, remote into your computer while you watch and do all these steps (and deal with any problems that arise during them) for you. Or if you do not choose to take this service, we can continue here. This is no problem at all. Just let me know please.

Else let me know the results please.