Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

My Lexmark X6675 is displaying "Cartridge Error" I've double

Customer Question

My Lexmark X6675 is displaying "Cartridge Error" I've double checked the cartridges, but it still won't print
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Lexmark is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is approximately 8-10 years old? I thought that X6675 was the model number
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've turned off the printer, opened the cover, replaced the ink cartridges closed the cover and turned the printer back on.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: The wireless printing has never worked, the light used to be green, but wouldn't print without being connected with a cable. Now it flashes red, and still won't
print when hooked up with a cable
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2008 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?