Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I have a ricoh aficio gx e7700n that we use printing.

Customer Question

I have a ricoh aficio gx e7700n that we use for sublimation printing. suddenly when we turn it on the light comes on for a few seconds then the printer shuts down. any possible solutions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

That is a severe problem.

How old is the Aficio printer in question?

When did you last put new supplies or consumables (e.g. cartridge, ink, etc.) into it?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
the printer is 3.5 years old. new ink was just put in and that is when the problem occured
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it was printing prior but we were getting streaky lines. we then changed the ink cartridge and now it won't stay on. light comes on for a few seconds then powers off

What ink cartridge did you put into it?

Try removing that cartridge! and then turning it On again... see if it stays On that way, even if with complaints and nil printing function.

What error message, if any, appears before the printer shuts Off again? keep an eye out for it.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
subliJet R is the ink we use. I will try taking in in and out and restarting. will look for error message but prior it does not stay on long enough to even get a messagebe right back
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
tried that. still the same. lights up for a second than powers off

OK, I see.

Your printer unfortunately either has metal debris in it, or a serious short circuit or major malfunction in the circuitry.

Is there any chance that a paper clip or staple got into the printer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
no chance of that happening. it is in a secured work table and only one person operates it

Then it will need servicing for repair of the problem. I haven't diagnosed it specifically - there's not much to go on - but the symptom, immediate shutdown without error code or indication - is that of a severe fault in circuitry. Or a possibly shorted component.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
ok thanks

I'm sorry there wasn't a better conclusion to this case. But in circumstances of this sort, the signs are fairly unmistakeable that it needs servicing.

Thank you for bringing your question here to JustAnswer.com.