Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

Pixma ip100. Won't turn on. Yes it is plugged in. If I press

Customer Question

Pixma ip100. Won't turn on. Yes it is plugged in. If I press the alarm button and then press the power button the power light will stay on as long as I continue pressing the alarm button. If I let go of the power button first, the yellow alarm button stays on, neither flash and the printer will not respond.
JA: What's the make and model of your tv, and has turning it on been a problem in the past?
Customer: This is a Canon Pixma ip100 printer
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I've gone through the manual three times, this light configuration is not mentioned. All their trouble shooting mentions flashing lights. I have left it unplugged for over a hour for a hopeful reset. No good so far.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: That 's about it. I installed a fresh black ink cartridge, it should be seated properly but I cannot power up to guide the head back to recoverable position.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are symptomatic of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty power supply or logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2005 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life.

At this point it is at nearly 4 times its designed maximum lifespan, and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $150 range to have the internal power supply replaced, and a logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 (standard all in one printer, around $150 for a portable unit) you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?