Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I replaced both the black and color cartridge with Dell

Customer Question

I replaced both the black and color cartridge with Dell products and my printer was working fine til I wanted to print some copies for my husband, all of a sudden it's reading "Cartridge Error) Consult User's Guide. I cant find a users guide. I have a Product Information Guide.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Dell is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Dell V305
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I removed both cartridges and replaced back into their slots. I unplugged the printer and the cable to the computer. I replugged everything back in and I still get the same reading.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Yes,yesterday it was working fine when I printed my digital coupons from Kroger, black and color working fine, although the computer was still telling me I was low on both inks.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this symptom indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2009 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault. These lexmarks (they manufactured the dell printers) are widely regarded as the worst printers ever made, they were very poorly designed and built and have very high failure rates. They were so bad that lexmark nearly went bankrupt supporting all the warranty claims, and stopped making inkjets entirely shortly after this model.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $90, A logic board would run you $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?