Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

Dealing with some printer issues so I was just reading your

Customer Question

Dealing with some printer issues so I was just reading your forums
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Its a friend's printer so I dont know how old it is, but its a brother MFC-9970CDW
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: it had a black toner replacement warning
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: I replaced the toner
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have replaced the toners, but the warning exists. The reset menu, that should show up with 'Cover open' prompt doesnt show! The prompt seems to be disabled. I have gone into the maintenance menu and pulled various status reports but it still says 0% toner. I have done the basic, replaced the toner, cleaned the corona wire, tried restarting with the cover open to get the prompt, tried removing the drum and then starting (which gives a different error, but pressing 1 doesnt open the reset menu)
Expert:  Russell H. replied 5 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

What 'model #' or 'type #' or part number of cartridge was put into the Brother printer?

(I presume it is still showing the black toner replacement warning. This does happen with Brother printers on occasion.)

Was it a genuine Brother OEM-original black cartridge? or remanufactured, recycled, etc. ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The printer we are dealing with is a brother MFC-9970CDW. I replaced the black toner with a TN-310 bk, all brand new, genuine parts, OEM, no-recycled or remanufactured or refilled!

That printer is compatible with that toner cartridge.

Does the message persist? if so, what is the exact, and full message on the printer, with the code number if any?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I checked, the cartridge is compatible and is the same model that was working before. The error is simple, with no codes: Toner Low: Prepare new toner cartridge K blackThats all is displayed on the LCD

Turn the printer Off. Unplug it from the power. Leave it that way for at least 20 minutes.

Meanwhile, take the K / black cartridge out again, and check that it has no tape adhering to it, and then seat it back in its place again, and close up the printer.

Plug in again, turn On, see if the message is cleared.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ive done this a few times (Except the 20mins part, more like 30seconds) The toner cartridge is clear, no tapes, no obstructions, the corona wire is cleaned, but I will give it a shot

30 seconds wouldn't do much. Try it as instructed, it might make a difference.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Its shut down and unplugged. I rechecked the toner cartridges. I will check back in 16 more minutes!

OK.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Russell, Sadly, it didn't seem to have helped. The toner warning still persists!!!

That was unfortunately expectable.

Either you have, in my opinion (which is humble... I can't swear I have ever found a 'solution' to this rather common problem myself... if you want another opinion I'll Opt Out and open the case, at your request...):

- a defective cartridge. Pack it up in original packaging, take/send it back to the vendor, ask for an exchange for another promptly (before return-exchange period runs out. Unless it has been stored in reserve awhile and it *has* definitely run out.)

- a 'broken' printer. That would be regrettable.

- a printer in need of a 'reset' for just the toner-needed status. This is true of some larger Brother printers that have a reset as part of the standard procedure for replacement. For your model this may be N/A... but some Experts might want to direct you through trying this... at some risk to the printer.

As I said, I'll give you chance at a second opinion by Opting Out, if you like.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I thought the printer cartridge might be defective so I bought another one and tried that, but it didnt work either. The printer has been working fine for the past 3 weeks and just started acting up today, so I am not certain that its a printer issue either or that a reset would fix it?!?Broken would be the only option that is left, but without any physical damage, electrical issues (entire system plugged into voltage stabilizer and surge protectors) how would it 'break'?

Static discharge, sloppy manufacture... in my humble opinion... could cause this.

Since my response doesn't seem at all satisfactory (and small wonder!) I have Opted Out, opening the case for other Experts (who might, e.g. know of a safe but effective 'reset' for the toner-needed message.

Thanks for your patience, and good luck.

Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 months ago.

i would look for simple things at this point.

Did you remove the tape from the toner cartridge and shake it up?

is it locking into place correctly

Is there a button to push on the menu to say that you replaced the cartridge after or before you did so?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hey Robert, Thanks for the suggestions. I have tried those options. the 9970CDW has a simple system which alerts you when you open the drum compartment. It automatically goes into reset mode when you press '1' at the open compartment alert. Sadly the prompt/alert doesnt show up. I have upgraded the firmware as well, to no avail. I even tried to get another toner cartridge to rule out any manufacturing defect.Sadly, The tapes are removed.
The cartridge and the drum tray are locking in perfectly.
It being a touch screen, the only button to press should display after pressing '1' at the prompt. With no prompt, 1 doesnt seem to work and there is no thing else to press to state that the toner has been replaced!

not sure if you did it this way but to get the reset menu you have to turn it off.

then open the cover with the printer off

then turn it on with the cover still open

i would also check the other toner cartridges