Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a printer error 5010 I followed what directions I

Customer Question

I have a printer error 5010 I followed what directions I read on line but it hasn't gone away. My printer is a MP600
JA: OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. OK. To minimize me, please click the down arrow at the top right corner of this box. What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I want to say sometime 2009
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have unplugged the unit discounnested the computer cable and have allowed it to sit for hours as they instructed
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Not really I do not use this a lot over the years so it hasn't been abused if you know what I mean
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error"

Specifically, it is the result of a bad scanner ccd head/pcb (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2006 model printer, it is at/past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the scanner assembly, which costs about $150; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?