Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

I have a canon imageclass mf4890dw, it says download mode -

Customer Question

i have a canon imageclass mf4890dw
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: it says download mode - it wont do anything- everytime i plug it into my computer - my computer shuts down & can only be started in safe mode
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: over 1 year old
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

The only way to fix that issue, is to download and install a firmware update to the printer itself.

1. Visit
  2. Type you model name into the search box and select it from the list that appears.
  3. Click the 'GO' button to get to the Drivers & Software page for your model.
  4. From the Drivers & Software page, Select your Operating System and Version from the provided drop-down menues.
  5. If an update is available, the description will appear after clicking the red triangle next to the word 'Firmware."

Note: The image below is for a model that does offer a firmware update. Many models will not feature any user installable firmware updates.

You will need to enter the serial number of the device to begin the download.
  6. Click directly on the name of the file to begin the download process.

You may have to do the following through safe mode, since your computer shuts down when you connect the canon.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it says there is no download update available
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I've already tried that
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

So you downloaded the firmware update tool from this page

Connected the printer via its USB cord directly to your computer.. And it said there were no firmware updates available?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No - that file I've downloaded 5 times. It load the printer into a read only file - when I connect the USB - my computer shuts down.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
also - it's not just the computer - it wont copy either . There is NO function. Only a message that says DOWNLOAD MODE
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

You mentioned that when you connect the printer, the computer will restart in safe mode.

Will it stay in safe mode with the printer connected?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm not sure - I'm on the computer that I have to connect the printer to.
Also - when I do the download of that file. The printer still doesnt appear in the Printer box in the control panel
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there no way to factory reset it from the printer itself?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Most of the time, it wont let you clear the machine when its stuck in download mode.. But you can try

On the machine press menu - 2 - 8 - menu

This gets you to the service menu, then choose copier > function > clear-all to fully reset the machine.

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
none of the buttons on the printer are responding
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Thats what I figured...

When you downloaded the file, and then you opened it and tried to run it.. Did you have the printer conencted directly to your computer via a USB cable?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No, if I plug in the USB cable, the computer shuts down. And I've already replaced the cable with a new cable.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
should I plug in the cable? I guess it isnt update the printer since it isnt plugged in. But after I downloaded the driver, I plugged it in & it shut down - went to the blue screen.
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Lets try plugging in the usb cable with the printer turned off.. What happens then?

Also, try every usb port you have to see if another one will work properly.. If so, then you can update the firmware.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
what happens if I get disconnected from you?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
are you still there?
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Youre able to view my responses through your email. And then open those responses and click the button inside that says reply or view on justanswer.

or, you can just come back to, sign in, click my questions, and then scroll down and respond.

Dustin S

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
ok - i'll try
Expert:  Dustin replied 3 months ago.

Allright.. Keep me posted, though I will be breaking for diner in 2 minutes. So it may be a bit before I can respond again.

Dustin S