John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have a Brother HL-2270DW printer that I just got recently.

Customer Question

Hi Pearl! I have a Brother HL-2270DW printer that I just got recently. I'm having mad trouble with closing the door where you put in the toner, etc? I've taken the toner out to be sure that wasn't the problem; even with the toner out, the door won't close and the dreaded "error" light won't go out. Please help? Thanks, Mark
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Brother is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: LOL, I honestly don't know, but it is WiFi-enabled, which means it's fairly recent - within the past few years at least?
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I took the toner completely out and tried closing the door that way, no dice
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No, that's it. I really like this printer, it's very user friendly, I'm just having this darned door issue which is really gumming up the works. I need help bad!
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 3 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Look into the hinges of the door, for anything like a bit of plastic or similar debris, that may have fallen into the hinge area. Brush out that region to be sure, using the edge of a piece of paper.

How far does the door close?

Are the door's closing latches perhaps the problem? I don't have a picture of this printer, but the items that the door clicks into sometimes can be jammed up, also.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hey Russell! Thanks man for responding. OK, here's what the printer in question looks like:, I'm having trouble with the bottom part of the door, something's not right. Please advise?

I see the video. Can you take a picture of the door fully open, more or less as it is shown in

0:49 of the video, and post it to me attached to your reply?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
CORRECTION: this is the correct printer in question: Brother Laser printer model # ***** Really need help with the toner door! Please advise, nothing is obstructing its closing like debris, etc. Thanks!

Posting a photo of the opened door, might help me advise you as to what is wrong.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
How do I do that? What email do I use?

Just attach the photo file to the Reply you send me, using the paper-clip icon to select the file from where it is stored on your computer.