VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

Xerox Phaser 7760dx prints blank pages. I have not tried the

Customer Question

Xerox Phaser 7760dx prints blank pages. I have not tried the NVRAM reset. Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Please follow the steps below:

Resetting All Printer Default Settings (NVRAM)

Resetting the NVRAM resets all printer values including network, printer

setup, job defaults, color, margin, and paper calibrations.

1.

From the Main Menu, highlight Support, and press OK.

2.

Highlight Service Tools Menu and press OK.

3.

Reset NVRAM is displayed, press OK.

4.

Highlight Reset NVRAM and Reset Printer NOW and press OK to reset

all the settings to default.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I understand how to reset the NVRAM. I'm concerned that most of the information ip, gw, subnet mask addresses, etc. will have to be put back. Do you think the NVRAM will fix blank pages?

OK. When did this issue first start? What type of job was the printer doing when this first happened?

Are the Drivers up to date? The age of the printer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I don't have that information. I trying to fix this for a customer. I'm also a service tech (33 years) but I am not as familiar with the Xerox Phaser. Is this a known issue with Phasers?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The mfg. date is 2009

Try the Reset and then restart the Printer and reboot the PC or MAC.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Unless the firmware date code is visible on the display, I have no way of knowing. Do you know if the NVRAM reset canceling the printer settings?

That is OK, you are getting into the Engineering Menu's at that point.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll give that a try and reply later today or tomorrow. Thanks.

Not a problem, Sir or Madam.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Neither unplugging the power for over 5 hours nor the NVRAM reset fixed the problem (blank pages). The reset did change the paper out from the top to the sorter. Any other suggestions?

Drivers up to date?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm not sure. I can't printout the config. report. Have you seen this problem before?
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just spoke with the customer. She said, "No firmware or operating systems have been done ... to the best of her knowledge". The problem with updating the firmware appears to actually cause blank pages to print.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I made a mistake typing in the previous sentence. I meant to type: No firmware or operating system Updates have been done... to the best of her knowledge.

http://www.support.xerox.com/support/phaser-7760/downloads/enus.html?operatingSystem=winxp

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks for your effort and quick responses but this isn't working. The link above is for drivers and firmware which would be relevant if the printer were printing anything. But, not even connected with the ethernet cable, it still prints blank pages. This has not been as good an experience as I had hoped.

Ok, then the Logic Board will need to be replaced. How will that go over with your Customer?

Or take it to be serviced.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My customer would be fine with that assuming you know that is the problem but I don't and neither do you. That's OK! But, I need someone who "KNOWS" the Phaser 7760 and its service history. Guessing a logic board is ridiculous and not helping me or my customer.

Sorry Sir or Madam, I do know the device and have worked on the Xerox product line for greater 25 years.

Not guessing, it is a process of elimination. You came to J for a solution, not conjecture. Depending where you are in the US, a Service Center is less than 30 minutes from you.

Now, do you have a Muli-meter to begin testing across Circuits, Sir or Madam?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I know where the service center is located. I also know the minimum rate and the rate charged afterwards. I didn't ask you to find a service center. Yes, I have approximately 6 multimeters but that won't do me any good either. You can't adequately test boards with multimeters. So, you've worked on the Phaser 7760 for years? I'll ask again ... have you EVER see blank pages on this model?

Hold a moment please.