John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I cannot print printer reads "Printer in error" 8600 HP 3 4

Customer Question

I cannot print printer reads "Printer in error"
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 8600 HP 3 4 yrs old
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: turned printer off, took it out of the system. waited a few minutes and then restarted the printer. same message came over. Printer wasn't used yesterday opened it up this AM and it didn't print
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Hi there. . My name is***** am a computer professional with over 15 years of experience with both Mac and Windows computers, phones, tablets, and printers. It would be my pleasure to assist you with this. Can you tell me what operating system is on your computer?

If you're not sure, you should be able to use one of these links to find out. Or, if you prefer I can connect to you remotely and work on this while you watch.

For Windows

Can you click this link and tell me what you see please?

From the Apple menu, choose About This Mac. Your version of OS X appears directly below “OS X

Expert:  GeekGal replied 4 months ago.

Once I know the operating system I should be able to walk you through the necessary steps to troubleshoot the printer. You mentioned that you had tried shutting down the printer, however, it's a good idea to shut down both the printer and the computer at the same time. Please try that and see if it helps. Also, can you let me know whether the error message appears on the printer itself or in the computer screen?