Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Hp photosmart C5580 printer is blinking...I tried holding ok

Customer Question

Hp photosmart C5580 printer is blinking...I tried holding ok and help while plugging in a few times and it did not work.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model number snprb-0821
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Above text
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Have others had success get thewith this model printer
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 11 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem. What is your computer operating system?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Windows 10

Is your printer connected to your network or your computer via cable?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No Sir

Have you installed drivers for your printer on your computer yet?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
No sir...I just plugged it into the wall and it began blinking...the power button the enlarge button and print photo button....I plugged it into my computer but to no avail
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They just automatically start blinking once plugged in
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Still there?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello

Can you turn off the power with the power button and then press and hold the power button for 20 seconds, until the flashing lights stop flashing on your printer?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I will try
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
When I turn it off it turns itself back on

Okay. Just press and hold the power button for a full minute and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Turns back on and continues to blink
  1. Can you open the service door and check to see if your ink cartridges are all installed properly and are not dislodged?
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
They are in

Please press and hold both the power button and the red eye removal button for at least 30 seconds and let me know if that stops the flashing lights.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Everything is in place

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Anything

Please press and hold both the power button and the red eye removal button for at least 30 seconds and let me know if that stops the flashing lights. Have you done this?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.

Are you getting my messages? I have sent the same message three times, and you have not answered it!!!

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Can you help or is this all you can do

I apologize if you did not get my messages. Troubleshooting is a step-by-step process. Have you held the power and red eye keys down together to see if that stopped the flashing lights.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Did not work and I'm going to bed

Okay. It has been a long day. I cannot help you. Many users have reported the same problems with this printer, and there are no solutions. The printer control panel cannot be operated and no further procedures can be executed as long as the lights are flashing I am going to opt out, since I am out of ideas. However, I suggest that you contact HP for a solution, and, if the printer is still in warranty, return it in exchange for another model, if possible.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Ok...thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 11 months ago.

Hello, I'm Nathan, and I'll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority. Sorry to hear you're having trouble, and for any delay in getting you an appropriate answer.

Unfortunately, the issues you are experiencing are the result of an internal hardware defect, meaning a faulty logic board. This issue could be a manufacturing defect, but is also often caused by a power event (shock/surge, prolonged over/under voltage condition, etc).

This could also be the result of age related wear and tear, as a 2008 model, that type of failure wouldn’t be surprising as this machine was designed and built for only a 3 year service life. This printer has served its designed maximum lifespan nearly 3 times over now, and has greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of it.

There is one step you can take here, both as a possible fix, as well as a diagnostic evaluation

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If this reset process does not work, it would unfortunately confirm an internal hardware failure.

This is something that would require repairs to correct; at that point it is time for a new printer. While it can be fixed, it is not practical to do so. You'd be in the $250 range to have it serviced. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Expert:  Nathan replied 10 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?