Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

Blurry print. I've replaced with new ink, cleaned still

Customer Question

blurry print. I've replaced with new ink, cleaned still can't get it to print right
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: since I downloaded windows 10 so I got the updated driver for the printer
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: mfc-490cw I'm not sure on the age but before that it was working fine
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: updated driver, cleaned, new ink. When I print a test page it comes out great but when I print anything off the computer its blurry
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: what company are you with
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Have you tried copying like Xerox without using the computer? Is it copying fine?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no its blurry to
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Please try the following and let me know the response.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
still doing it
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Please check the printhead alignment as per the instructions in the link below.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc490cw_all&ftype3=1975&faqid=faq00000259_017

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I went to the link and did the alignment check and none of them come close to the 0 so I tried them all and cleaned all still the same
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Please turn off the printer, unplug all the cables and wait for two minutes. Then, plug in the cables and restart the printer. Check if the issue persists.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still not working
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Could you please try the printhead cleaning and alignment once again and check if there is a difference?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I did that before I sent you the message. Cleaned 5 times recleaned the heads and ink ports. Why will it print a test page clear as a bell than when I print off any document on my computer it (cc example) like its off and double printing a word
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

It is doing the same when you copy without using the computer. Right?

Thank you,

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Like the word on it will print on just a hair over from the original. Yes the copy is doing the same
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Have you tried cleaning the printhead as per the instructions in the link below? Especially black?

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc490cw_all&ftype3=2046&faqid=faq00000735_015

When you print alignment page, does it print fine?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I cleaned the print head. Like I said the alignment page does not look like no. 0 and I tried switching them all and than put it back to normal
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Do you see any better match when you print the alignment page?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
no
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Have you tried cleaning the paper rollers with cotton swabs? Can you try that too? Clean the interior that you can access.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ok I've done both still not working
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Paper should be loaded in the paper trays in portrait orientation. Do NOT load paper in the paper trays in landscape orientation.

Regardless of the paper size you are using, you must always load the paper into the paper tray so that the two longer edges of the paper face the left and right sides of the paper tray and the two shorter edges of the paper face the front and back of the paper tray

Also, try the instructions in the link below.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=mfc490cw_all&ftype3=1996&faqid=faq00000558_002

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
everything great there
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

try again with Black to align. Check the 1200 DPi test print.

1. Press the Ink or Ink Management key on the control panel.
  2. Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Test Print and press OK.
  3. Press the UP OR DOWN ARROW key to choose Alignment and press OK.
  4. Press Black (Mono) Start or Color (Colour) Start. The machine begins printing the Alignment Check sheet.
  5. By reviewing this Check sheet, you can determine if the alignment needs adjustment.
  6. Examine the 600 dpi and 1200 dpi test prints on the Alignment Check sheet. If the number 5 sample of both the 600 dpi and 1200 dpi most closely matches the 0 sample, press the UP ARROW key or 1 or "+" to choose Yes.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
We have already done that. I'm sorry but nothing is working you have any other ideas?
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

Could you please do the alignment once again with both black and color? If the issue persists even after that, I will open the question for other experts.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
the no. 0 has vertical lines only
no. 1-8 have vertical and horizontal lines
Expert:  Shefin replied 6 months ago.

I apologize that I am out of ideas. I will open the question for other experts.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
ty
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.

Hi, My name is***** am an another expert and I have one more suggestion as my colleague have already suggested almost all the possible solution to you. The problem can be caused due to severe clogging of the printhead, which is not cleaned properly by the normal head cleaning process, in this situation you have to flush the printhead using a printhead cleaning kit, which you can get in all computer stores or from the link below. If the flushing failed to solve the problem then unfortunately, the printhead is defective and you have to replace the printhead from any repair shop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BROTHER-Printhead-Inkjet-Cleaning-Kit-Includes-Tools-and-Instructions-2500HK-/130972608904?hash=item1e7e936988:g:N-8AAOxydyxSQON3

Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Did you still need help with this issue?

Dustin S

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
This only started when my computer download Windows 10
Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

This is Definitely something I can help you with.

Though, the fix can be a bit time consuming when you know the steps to follow.. It may be best if I connect to your computer from here and fix the issue personally.

We can accomplish that via r emote support. If I cant fix the issue when Im connected to your computer, you would be entitled to a full refund of all fees.

Im sending that offer to you now.

Dustin S.

Expert:  Dustin replied 6 months ago.

Hello again, I never heard back from you.. Did you still need help with this issue?

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.