Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller
19897260

My brother printer Mfc-j4620dw keeps on saying "is offline"

Customer Question

My brother printer Mfc-j4620dw keeps on saying "is offline" can you help? I have connected it via a mobile router and it says "connected".
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.

Welcome to Justanswer.com, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
I only have an Apple iPad.
Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.

Ok..

Where is it saying the printer is offline.. On your ipad, or on the printer itself?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
On my ipad
Expert:  Dustin replied 12 months ago.

Good morning and my apologies for the delay.

Leys try the actual brother app for your ipad, you can get it here. https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brother-iprint-scan/id382775642?mt=8

Once you have downloaded an d installed the brother app, open the brother app and see if it can see your printer..

If not, then lets try the following.. On the ipad go to settings, reset, reset network settings.

Once reset, connect the ipad to your home wireless network again.. Then, on the brother printer itself. Try printing the WLAN report.. http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us&lang=en&prod=hll2380dw_us_as&faqid=faq00002796_010

Does it show the brother printer is online, connected to the same wireless network the ipad is connected to? If so, then the ipad should now be able to detect the brother printer. If not, then you need to reconnect the brother printer to the wireless network.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

Hello again.. I never heard back from you.. Did you still need help with this issue?

Dustin S.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Hello I tried the brother iprint and scan. It still said "can't find a printer. I did ask at a Telstra store and the guy said because my home is a black spot and I only have a mobile router I won't be able to get the printer to work. It needs a solid state internet connection. I will need to wait for the NBN. So I am going to try going to a free wifi spot and see if I can print the emails I want. Thanks for your help.
Expert:  Dustin replied 11 months ago.

To start with, printers can work with mobile hotspots, ive done it before.. This link verifies that http://smallbusiness.chron.com/wireless-printers-work-mobile-hotspots-64868.html

I could connect and set this up for you. With that being said, a fool proof way to p rint would be to get a USB cable and run it directly from printer, to your computer. If you dont have a usb cable for that printer, you can get one here at a discount http://amzn.to/29luxEb