Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers
16433418

I bought a Canon printer from a friend that as and hasn't

Customer Question

I bought a Canon printer from a friend that as and hasn't been connected for about 6 year.
Printer Model: MF 8350 DCdn
When I connect the printer it was printing the black ink in pal with streak
Question:
1- Do I need a disk to down load the printer program?
2- The streak is it because the printer hasn't work for a long time? and need new ink
My name is ***** ***** London Ontario
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

You shouldn't have bought that printer because a printer unused for longer period especially years may have internal damages. For example, due to outside temperate or environmental conditions, humidity, dusts etc, the toner cartridge may damage, toner can clump in the cartridge etc. It is also possible that the fuser (the heating unit that bonds the toner to the paper) developed flat spots with long periods of inactivity.

Dusts and other foreign objects on drum also makes things worse/ If the drum get scratched due to these, then the printing will not be normal. So the issues you are having might be because of these conditions. It may work if you replace the toner cartridge, but it could be the drum or fuser. Try taking out the toner cartridge, shake it well and put back. If there is dust, clean them using Lint free cloth lightly moistened with isopropyl. Then try printing.

1 - No, you don't need a disc to download the printer. You can download it from here --> https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-laser-printers-imageclass/color-imageclass-mf8350cdn

2 - Yes, it is possible that the printer has got internal damage due to inactivity.

I'd recommend to take it in to Canon store to have them check up and see if it is worth fixing. If the drum, fuser or toner are damaged, then it will cost almost the price of a new generation printer.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please let me know.

Expert:  Ashik replied 8 months ago.

Refer this article about cleaning laser printer, toner cartridge etc --> http://www.wikihow.com/Clean-a-Laser-Printer