Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

Ya we just bought a new cartridge from office depot, and it

Customer Question

Ya we just bought a new cartridge from office depot, and it is the model of our printer and is still giving us the 168a error code
JA: What is the exact make and model of your printer? And what kind of cartridges are you using?
Customer: MG2920 Canon and the cartridge is PIXMA 245 Fine Cartridge
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: taking out the cartridge and trying again, turning off the printer
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: Thats it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on this site. Do you use genuine Canon cartridges ?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
it says genuine canon
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
also says on the box that it is for my model of printer mg2920
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for the information. The error code indicates that the printer cannot detect the fine cartridge and this can happen due to two reasons, one if the cartridge itself is defective or two if the carriage in which you install the cartridge is defective. Now, as you have already tried with a new cartridge and still getting the same error code, it means the problem is with the carriage contacts. The final solution for this problem is replacing the carriage from any repair shop. but before that please try the steps below at home. Let me know, if you need any further information otherwise please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

First, try to hard reset the printer.

Remove the power cord from the printer.

Wait for 10 mins.

Reconnect the power cord and check the printer.

If you still face the same problem then, follow the steps below.

Remove the cartridges then, turn off the printer.

Clean the contacts inside the printer with a cotton swab dampened with distilled water or IP alcohol, unless the contacts are clean completely.

Reseat the cartridges and check the result.

If you still face the same problem then, unfortunately, the carriage is defective.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
when I close the cover to the cartridges, it doesn't move or do anything
Expert:  Sudipto replied 5 months ago.

First, try to hard reset the printer.

Remove the power cord from the printer.

Wait for 10 mins.