John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

I have a brother MFC-5460cn printer. In the last couple of

Customer Question

I have a brother MFC-5460cn printer. In the last couple of days I have not been able to print due to a error message which reads: PRINT UNABLE 4F. The message says to refer to Troubleshooting & maintenance chapter in users guide. I have gone through that chapter & performed the cleaning steps in addition to unplugging the unit for several minutes. I still have the message. Please help me. Is there something more I need to do. I can't reset the unit. What does the 4F refer to?
Category: Printers
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Secure Remote Assistance. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your printer.

Open the cover and remove the cartridges close the cover and unplug the power for 5 mins.

let me know once done we will proceed with the troubleshooting steps after 5 mins.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I assume you mean the ink cartridges. Is that correct?
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

correct.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I removed them at 11:38pm. No need to direct connect.
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

after few mins try to power on the printer without the cartridges let me know if the error changes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will power it back up now
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

alright

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I kept the cartridges out & the error message is still the same
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

PRINT UNABLE 4F same error didnt change?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Correct
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

Access the internal maintenance mode by pressing the Menu/Set button, then press * 2 8 6 4 within 2 seconds. This should put you in the maintenance mode menu. Enter 80, and then scroll down with the arrow down (round) key. You'll find an entry listed as purge count. If number is ***** 6000, enter 2 7 8 3.

This will reset the purge count value. Then the printer will restart, hopefully without the annoying cannot clean message.

This happens because of using compatible ink cartridges try to use the printer with genuine ink cartridges.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I press the Menu button, it goes to general setup & when I press a number it beeps & moves to set up for telephone ring answer & will not accept any other numbers
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Are you still there?
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

do you have a "Set" button on the printer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, the print has only a Menu button
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there another button that serves as a set button?
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

Disconnect the Brother machine from the poweroutlet.
Open the scanner cover.

Check the print head's position.

The print head is positioned at the left hand side of the platen area or on the right?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not sure what the platen area is. When I raise the Scanner cover the bar is on the left & moves to the right as it scans a sheet. I don't see what I would think of being the printer head
Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

the flat area where the head moves.

Expert:  Michelle replied 5 months ago.

click on the link and follow the steps given with picture.