Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

My XP-424 printer prompted me to replace a cartridge and I

Customer Question

My XP-424 printer prompted me to replace a cartridge and I followed the instructions until the display reads "Replace the ink cartridge(s)". But when I lift the scanner unit, the ink cartridge carrier is to the far right and I am unable to reach the old cartridge to change it out. What can I do to move it without breaking something?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Sue.

This is not an automatic process as on some other printers, some menu steps are required prior to physical replacement.

• If an ink cartridge is expended, you see a message on the LCD screen. Note which cartridges need to be replaced, then select Proceed and follow the instructions on the screen.

• If you are replacing a cartridge before you see a message on the LCD screen, press the home (house icon) button and select Setup (wrench icon) > Maintenance > Ink Cartridge Replacement.

Lift up the scanner unit (below the glass)

Open the cartridge cover

Squeeze the tab on the cartridge and lift the cartridge straight up to remove it.

Gently shake the new cartridge four or five times, then remove the cartridge from the package, removing the yellow tape.

Insert the new cartridge into the holder and push it down until it clicks into place.

Close the cartridge cover and push it down until it clicks into place.

Select Check on the LCD screen to make sure the cartridge or cartridges are installed correctly.

Close the scanner unit.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Nathan: I've already tried everything you listed in your note. However, it is not responsive to my question.

My question is how to move the cartridge carrier when it is to far to the right that I cannot access the cartridges to change them. When I life the scanner unit, that is where the carrier stays.

As I said, I have already tried what your note said.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for trying. That often indicates an internal jam.

Try unplugging power to the printer, then you should be able to move the carriage over manually at that point (just give it a slight push with your finger). Change the cartridge, and plug back in.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Well, that did allow me to change the cartridge, but now I am getting a message on the display that the printer cannot recognize the cartridge, which is an Epson 200. Help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

There are a few possible causes of this issue, including a bad cartridge, internal debris/contamination, or a hardware failure (bad printhead, bad logic board, faulty sensor, etc).

What we can try are some cleaning and reset steps.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.

That didn't change a thing. I still have the message about not recognizing the cartridge. I'm getting frustrated. Not at you. But at the printer. These seem to be reasonable things to try. Frankly, I don't want to mess with it any more tonight. If you have anything further to do, I'll deal with it tomorrow. Thanks.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

I certainly understand your frustration, Sue.

Here is what I'd like you to do next: Go into the printer settings menu, under INK,

then choose Cartridge Replacement, so it prompts the carriage over on its own.

Pull the black ink out, and put it back in again, close it up, then press OK on the screen, and the printer should do a self check and cleaning routine.

After that, it will hopefully work. If it does not, that tends to indicate an internal hardware fault like a bad printhead.

Give this a shot at your convenience and you can get back to me whenever you're ready.

Expert:  Nathan replied 3 months ago.

Do you need more help with this, Sue?