Jason Jones, Technician
Experience:  10+ years work experience.

I am trying to hook up my fax and phone on computer and it

Customer Question

I am trying to hook up my fax and phone on computer and it is not working.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

To get started, I need to know what type of computer you are using, a Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows 10 or a Mac.

If its a Mac, please check the OSX version as follows, Click the apple sign at the top left of your screen, then click about this mac. And then where it says version, send that to me as a reply.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
do not have my phone andfax hooked up so my fax or phone will work Canonmx340
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
windows 10. I have had this prnter hooked up before but can not get the conenctions right
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Understood.. Question.. Do you have the phone itself, running off the port marked phone on the printer?

basically, the line from the wall should go into the printer. And then the phone itself should plug into the printer as well.. thats why it has two phone ports on the printer.

have you tried that?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
here are two connectors on back of printer, oneis L and the other is a telephone
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
My telephone only has one phone jack in back
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Ok, the telephone line from the wall.. Plugs into the printer where it has the L.

Then, your actual telephone does not plug into the wall, instead it plugs into the printers other phone port, that has the image of the telephone.

When you run them that way, you should be able to get a dial tone, and also send and receive faxes from the machine.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
that is not working
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have no dial tone now
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Lets go into the machines settings and see what you h ave the fax line type set to.

You definitely want it set to tone, and not pulse.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It is set to to e
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Jyst need to know how to hook up the libes
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
All fax setting Are set
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Now what do I do???
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Any more suggestions???
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'm still needing an answer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello???? I am not happy at all.... I'm to the point to where I just want to stop sitting here.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have day by this computer long enough... I am definitely not happy with this site... It's going on midnight and I r been doing this for two hours.... I'm done!!!! Do not charge my credit card . I can assure you, I will not come to this site for questions again nor will I recommend you either.
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

I sent a reply to you last night to let you know I had run out of ideas.. Im sorry that it seems it didnt go through.

The link below may be of assistance to you,

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Seriously??? You told me two things to and pt didn't work
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
That would work if it wasn't being hooked up to a computer also.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It needs run on the computer and I also need the phone line for the fat so come on
Expert:  BigDish101 replied 4 months ago.

You're hooking them up correct but since it is not working I believe there may be a problem with the phone connection jack on the fax machine. There is a simple solution to this. Simply do not use the the loop though connection on the fax machine, instead use a splitter to feed both the phone and the fax machine separately from the same phone jack.

You can buy one here: or look for one at your local HomeDepot, Lowes, or Walmart.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's on a splitter now.

Then you should have dial tones on both the fax and the phone?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I don't.... I'll figure it out myself.

Then I think you have a issue with your phone if it has no dial tone when plugged into a splitter that is plugged directly into the wall jack.

Do note, that the 3 jack splitters are not normal splitters, the middle jack on them goes to the outer pair on the jack that it is plugged into to obtain line 2. If using a 3 port splitter you need to use the two outside jacks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Two jack spliter
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Don't worry about it. I'll call canon.

I don't think they'll be able to help you, because right now your problem has nothing to do with the fax machine if you are saying that the phone has no dial tone plugged into a splitter that is plugged into the wall jack. UNLESS this only happens if the fax machine is also plugged in.

Expert:  hongkongpom replied 4 months ago.

Hello does it show in the printer display "off hook"?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Jason Jones replied 3 months ago.

I am the person that will be helping you today.

If you remove the splitter and just plug a phone into the jack, do you get a dial tone on the phone line?

I will be standing by, looking forward to your response.

Thank you,