Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

Blue and yellow light blinking. all ink is full, none, no,

Customer Question

blue and yellow light blinking.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: all ink is full
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: none
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

What is the make/model of the printer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Canon iX6500.
Both BLUE and AMBER LEDs are flashing.
Message appears on screen with an error.
The printer worked great up until a day or so ago.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Can you tell me the specific message you see on screen?
Are those lights blinking simultaneously, or alternating?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am not at home where the printer is.
The lights are blinking alternating.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for confirming, that is sufficient for me to tell what is going on.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead (or the logic board that controls it).

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would have to, at a minimum, replace the printhead, which costs about $85; if the logic board is bad you’re looking at $200-250. For as little as $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Bummer - well, let me know the process and I will try it. If it doesn't work, i will get a new printer.
This one was great because it allowed large format printing.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

First remove all of the ink cartridges, and then the printhead (carriage assembly) then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back of the head, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat the head and cartridges.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I'll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?