John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

My 9970cdw says it has a paper jam and it does not how do I

Customer Question

my 9970cdw says it has a paper jam and it does not how do I reset?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Eric Ewing replied 4 months ago.

To reset, you need only turn your printer off and back on. If the printer reboots and indicates there is still a paper jam, you wold then be looking at one of two possibilities:

• There really is a paper jam somewhere to be uncovered, or
  • One or more paper path sensors is "stuck" and the printer will need to be serviced.

To be thorough, you may wish to start at the beginning:

Remove the paper from the MP tray.

1. Remove any jammed paper from in and around the MP tray.
  2. Close the MP tray.
  3. Press the front cover release button and then open the front cover.
  4. Hold the green handle of the drum unit. Pull the drum unit out until it stops.
  5. Turn the green lock lever at the left of the machine counterclockwise to the release position. Holding the green handles of the drum unit, lift the front of the drum unit and remove it from the machine. NOTE: Hold the green handles of the drum unit when you carry it, do not hold the sides of the drum unit.
  6. We recommend that you place the drum on a clean, flat surface with a sheet of disposable paper or cloth underneath it in case you accidentally spill or scatter toner.
  7. If you see jammed paper, slowly pull the paper out. If you do not see paper jammed, go to the next step.
  8. Make sure the green lock lever is in the release position as shown below.
  9. Match the guide ends of the drum unit to the black marks (1) on both sides of the machine, and then gently slide the drum unit into the machine until it stops at the green lock lever.
  10. Turn the green lock lever clockwise to the lock position.
  11. Push the drum unit in until it stops.
  12. Close the front cover of the machine.
  13. Open the back cover. NOTE: After you have just used the machine, some internal parts of the machine will be extremely hot. Wait for the machine to cool down before you touch the internal parts of the machine.
  14. If you see paper stuck in the top exit area, slowly pull the jammed paper down and out of the machine using both hands.
  15. Pull the green tabs at the left and right sides toward you and fold down the fuser cover. NOTE: If the envelope levers inside the back cover are pulled down to the envelope position. Lift these levers to the original position before pulling the green tabs down.
  16. If paper is jammed, gently pull the jammed paper out of the fusing unit.
  17. Close the fuser cover. NOTE: If you print on envelopes, pull down the envelope levers to the envelope position again before closing the back cover.
  18. Close the back cover.
  19. Open the MP tray and lower it gently.
  20. Pull out the MP tray support and unfold the flap
  21. Fan the paper stack and then pull it back in the MP tray.
  22. When loading paper in the MP tray, make sure that the paper stays under the maximum paper height guides on both sides of the tray
  23. If the jammed paper is completely removed, the machine will resume printing automatically. If the machine does not start printing automatically, press the Black Start or Color Start button.
  24. If the machine still does not start printing. Check that all the remaining jammed paper has been removed from the machine. Then try printing again. NOTE: Always remove all paper from the paper tray and straighten the stack when you add new paper. This helps prevent multiple sheets of paper from feeding through the machine at one time and prevents paper jams.
  25. If the problem continues, and your machine is within warranty, please call Brother Customer Service Center at 1-877-Brother (1-***-***-****). The center is open Monday-Friday, excluding holidays.

Hello! It's been a little while since we chatted, so I wanted to check back in and see if you had had any success with your printer?

Please let me know. I look forward to hearing from you!