Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I replaces the print head on my HP 6700 and still getting

Customer Question

I replaces the print head on my HP 6700 and still getting the message "printhead missing or incorrectly installe"
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 5 years old and a Officejet 6700 All in one
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Everything that I could find on HP and on the web. I purchased a replacement print head and installed that but still getting the same error message
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: what's the charge?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Printer Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: Let me think about it
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem,

specifically, it is the result of a bad printhead or the logic board that controls it. Since you have replaced the head already, that would confirm that you have a bad carriage pcb and/or main logic board.

The head is a "wear item" that fails with age/use. As this is a 2011 model printer, it is well past its 3 year service life, so this type of failure is not surprising.

There is one step you can take here, to clean and reset the system, but it is very unlikely to help. 99.9% of the time, this does come down to a hardware fault.

While it can be fixed, it is not worthwhile to do so. You would be looking at $200-250 for the board. For $80-100 you can replace the entire machine with a brand new model, with current technology and a fresh warranty, which makes more sense than buying the new part for an older printer. It is unfortunate that you tried the new head too, as even that investment would generally not be recommended; hopefully you would have the option of returning that part to the seller to recoup some cost.

Depending how you'd like to proceed, I can advise on the cleaning/reset steps if you wish to try, help with finding parts, finding a local repair shop, or recommending replacement options for you. Just let me know.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

--

Please note:

I am an i dependent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist n with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?