Quiksilver07070
Quiksilver07070, Computer Support Specialist
Experience:  Consultant within every computer and networking category. Troubleshoot and maintain various operating systems. Sales Engineering.
63493917

Document feeder will not feed documents, several hours,

Customer Question

Document feeder will not feed documents
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: several hours
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: reboot both computer and printer. Looked up many diagnostic issues. Will not work with copy nor scan Paper will not move through feeder
JA: What is the machine's exact make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: MCF240C Don't know age 2nd owner
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: is there a charge?
JA: You just pay a $5 deposit now and the rest only when you get a reply from the Printer Technician. All of this is 100% satisfaction guaranteed, so you can get a refund if you're not happy for any reason.
Customer: what is the rest?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Quiksilver07070 replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JUSTANSWER.com

.

Does the printer ACT as though it WANTS to take the paper in?

What i mean is.....do the rollers begin to roll to take in the paper?

Or does the paper just sit there, and the rollers do NOT move at all?

.

You may have a paper Jam......have you checked all locations for this?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The rollers do not want to move as far as I can tell. I have checked every place I know to check for a paper jam. I have opened up the black top of the document feeder I have looked most every place I can think of.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I just double-checked everything again. I've taken off the plate off the back there's nothing in there I've lifted up the body. I've checked the paper tray. I don't know what else to do. It simply will not feed the paper. paper doesn't even move

Okay, thank you for checking......i know its not easy.

.

Allow me a few minutes to go through the documents for this printer.

.

Do you see any Error codes?

And just to clarify, the printer WILL NOT take up paper from WHICH paper Tray?

On top? (Fax Tray)

Or down below in one of the paper tray cartridges?

So, on top of the machine is what is called an ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) and is used for Sending a FAX.

.

Is thsi what you are referring to, that the paper rollers wont work?

Or somewhere different?

Have a look at these instructions for the ADF (click on the link below to see the image with instructions)

You still with me here?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It's from the document feeder at the top. That is also used for copying and for scanning and I'm trying to scan.

Sorry for thedelay in answering.

The top of the printer is called the ADF (Automatic Document Feeder) and is used for faxing. But can also be used for scanning purposes.

.

The ADF has a little trigger (toggle switch) that must be depressed before the rollers will activate.

This trigger is used to detect if any paper has been inserted onto the ADF.

That trigger might be stuck, or might be broken. Or you might not e be triggering it fully.

You want the paper to be pushed into the ADF slightly.

.

That is just ONE possiblity that could be causig this issue.

I suggest you have a look at the trigger, and see if it is still intact, but may be difficult to see.

.

The other possibilities you would need to take apart the machine.

.

But you can always get around using the ADF, and just use the scanner glass tray, to do your scanning.

While this is a slower process, when you are scanning multiple pages, it does still work.

Actually the scanner glass will yield a better quality image, as it scans at a higher resolution, than the ADF does.