Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My printer says it has S carriage jam but there is none,

Customer Question

My printer says it has S carriage jam but there is none
JA: The tech wizards can certainly get you out of any jam. ;-) They know printers inside and out, and I'd love to connect you with the best one for the job. Do you know the make and model?
Customer: HPL7590
JA: Huh?
Customer: HP Officejet Pro L7590
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have turned it off, waited & then back on. I have checked for paper jams- none It makes a scratching sound & displays the message " Carriage Jam"
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: No
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

Lets try this, open the machine like you are going to change the ink tanks.

Now, with it open unplug the printer from power and then plug it back in. Watch the carriage, does it try to move at all?

if it does.. Then lets try grabbing the carriage by hand and try to manually push it to the left.. if we can get it unjammed and back on track, then it should be able to move freely on its own.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It moves to the left fine but it gets stuck moving back to the right. Also I have a question. Initially I was told $5.00 then I just got a message charging the balance of $18. Can you tell me the exact amount of this service please?
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

5$ is a good faith deposit, its not feasible for any company to provide access to paid technicians for 5$.

If it gets stuck moving back to the right.. t hen inspect the rail and path of travel back to the right to make sure nothing is bent or broken

And then manually push the carriage back to the right, slowly.

The idea is, if we move the carriage by hand enough with the machine turned on.. It should put the motor back In gear / on track and clear the carriage jam error.