Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have a Brother MFC-7420. When I go to print something on

Customer Question

I have a Brother MFC-7420. When I go to print something on it, I get a jam error message but there is not jam present. No matter what I do, I can't get it to print.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Can you tell me the specific error code/number?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It says jam inside front cover.
Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for confirming.

This is a “diffuse” message which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, etc).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. First remove the input paper supply.

Proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both front and back as well as from up above/inside the paper tray compartment for any obstructions. Next remove the cartridge/drum, then clean the metal electrical contacts on the back, as well as where they mate up inside the printer, using qtips and rubbing alcohol. Dry well, then reseat them. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the stop/cancel button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?