John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.
23822421

My computer and printer are not talking. 't know what's

Customer Question

My computer and printer are not talking. Don't know what's wrong. It used to work.
Thanks for you help
Category: Printers
Expert:  Michelle replied 10 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be the expert working with you today to help and resolve the problem you have posted.

I am sorry to know that you are facing problem with your printer.

Let me know the make and model of the printer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is a Canon MX922

how is it connected usb or wifi?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I think it is wifi

Please check and make sure its wireless and not connected on usb or else troubleshooting will be entirely different.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It is connected to wifi

Step1. unplug the router power and let it sit for 2 mins power it back on and wait another 2 misn to let the router boot up.
step2. Unplug the printer power and follow the same steps as you followed with the router.
The printer must be good to print, let me know if the problem persists.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
it still is not working it says Support Code : 300 The printer does not respond. Make sure that the printer is plugged in, powered-on, and properly connected to your computer.

what operating system is on the computer?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OS X Yosemite

When connecting your Mac to a wireless network, one of the first things you’ll want to do is make sure that the AirPort icon is enabled in your Menu bar.

Select the Apple Button (very upper left corner of your screen) and choose System Preferences… from the drop-down list. From there, select Network.

Select you AirPort entry, and click the Configure… button.

Make sure the Airport tab is selected from the top menu, and then place a check in the box labelled Show AirPort status in menu bar.

Click the AirPort icon in your menu bar, and you should be presented with a list of visible wireless networks. Select the network you want to join.

If the network requires a password, you’ll be prompted to enter it now. If it doesn’t, you should automatically connect.

When you’re connected, the AirPort icon will change from a ‘light grey’ color to a solid black. The number of solid black lines indicates the signal strength (more black bars = stronger signal). That’s it!

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I went to system preferences and the drop down menu doesn't show AirPort icon but when I search it highlights Netwoek. I press Network and it shows Wi-Fi connected and ethernet not connected Bluetooth PAN not connected and I don't see a configure button. So I am stopped here.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
There is a button that reads import configurations

Not a problem you may follow the steps given below to remove the printer driver and after removal reboot the computer and then we can reinstall it back selecting wifi.

1. Click the "Finder" icon on your screen's dock, and click the "Macintosh HD" icon located under the Devices section in the Finder's sidebar.

2. Double-click the "Library" icon to open the folder, and double-click the "Printers" folder.

3. Locate the printer's folder you wish to delete in the window, and drag the folder to the Trash icon on the screen's dock. Alternatively, click the folder you wish to delete, click "File" at the top of the screen and select "Move to Trash" from the drop-down menu.

4. Click "Finder" at the top of the screen, and select "Empty Trash" from the drop-down menu to remove the files from your hard drive. Click "Empty Trash" on the dialog box to confirm the action. Click "Secure Empty Trash" from the drop-down list to permanently delete the files.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I acessed the finder on my dock but it doesn't show Macintosh HD under finders sidebar. I doesn't show that under Finder
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It shows All my files, iCloud Drive, AirDrop, Desktop, Applications, Documents, Downloads, Movies, Music, Pictures.
Under Devices Remote Disc, Matters.

No problem follow these steps carefully one by one.

Click Home/Setup button on your printer. Select Network/Wireless. Choose WLAN setup / WIFI setup. It will search for available accesspoints.

Select your Accesspoint (wireless name) from the list and it will ask for wireless password (network key). Enter the correct password, and it will say connected to accesspoint.

Make sure that you are entering the correct password, because it is case sensitive. If all are correct, it will say connected to accesspoint.

Then, follow the instructions below on your computer.

Choose System Preferences from the Apple menu.
Choose Print & Fax (or Print & Scan) from the View menu.
Hold down the Option key on your keyboard while clicking the "-" (minus sign that you see on the print & scan window, along with a + sign) button. Then, choose Reset Printing System.
If no printers are currently added, hold down the Control key while clicking in the box that appears above the "+" (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) button, then choose Reset printing system… from the contextual menu.
Then, click the + (plus sign that you see on the print & scan window, and not on the keyboard) sign to add printer. Select your printer from the list.

Note : Make sure that you are resetting the printing system before adding the printer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I press the minus key and option key it shows cancel or delete printer

select delete printer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
It shows "alert unable to download the software from the server at this time"
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have downloaded the scanner and printer driver What do I do with the icons that show up do I put them somewhere?

just double click on it and follow the onscreen instructions to install the printer

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I have installed the printer and scan drive. What is the next thing I do?

during installation did you select the wireless option.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I'm sorry but that wasn't an option.

not a problem after the installation is over try

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
OK I think I have completed the above instructions.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still with me Michelle?

yes i am.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
what would be the next step?

that all and it should be good to print now.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
when I check printers and Scanners there are no printers listed

if the printer is not in the list that means its not installed.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I did install both the scanner and printer but it is not listed under printers and scanners from system preferences. Should I install them again?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Are you still with me Michelle? can we finish this tomorrow morning?
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Michelle can we complete this tomorrow morning?

sorry about the delay. Yes we can continue in the morning and try the + sign to add the printer.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
do I leave the screen up and connect with someone tomorrow by this screen box?

You can shut down the system we can continue tomorrow.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Hello Could someone help me with my printer. We didn't complete last night
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Michelle was helping me to get my printer to talk to my computer but it got late and she said we can resume this morning.

I will open the question to other experts review and input as it will be late for me to get back and you dont have to wait for me.

Expert:  Joel Kalman replied 10 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I can help you solve your problem.