Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.

My fax will not send. I have checked the number and it is

Customer Question

my fax will not send. I have checked the number and it is not busy. Although the fax notification after preceding with the process says that it is busy.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: we moved our fax to a second phone jack and it worked about 2 months ago. although it was always a problem on the other jack.
JA: How old is the phone?
Customer: the line or the phone. The phone is 5 years old. and the line is 1 year old. it was changed when fiberobtic line were put in for our service.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: I have called the company I am faxing to to have the number checked it is correct and working and not busy from their test and not busy from my call to check.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no I just need to fax a large document, which I am sending in 7 page portions.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  hongkongpom replied 4 months ago.

Hello please tell us the make & model of your fax machine?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Canon MC310

Thank you. When you dial the number from the fax machine do you hear the ringing tone on the other end from the printer speaker and subsequent fax pickup?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
we here the fax ringing and answering.
Expert:  Robert M. replied 4 months ago.

do you have problems sending to any other fax machine ?

You can try dropping the baud rate down sometimes this is a mismatch between fax types. There are about a dozen different fax modes and usually 2 machines will negotiate to find the best one that they can both use but if the other fax machine is too old it might have some issues with it.

also make sure that it is set to fax in black and white mode. Not many pure fax machines can handle the color mode and that tends to kick it right out if you try.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
This is the only one we fax to it is our health insurance. Often it refuses to send we have had few successes. We end up taking it to the office.

under the fax settings on the printer

set the baud rate or tx start speed to 9600

set ecm to off

set color tx to automatically convert to black and white