Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

I have suddenly encountered an 0x97 error when I try to

Customer Question

I have suddenly encountered an 0x97 error when I try to print to my Epson 3640. The problem appears whenever I attempt to print any type of document from any of several computers. The printers response is four loud "clunks" followed by the error message. Try to execute any maintenance function results in the same 0x97 error
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is a WF 3640 purchased about July of 2014
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: have powered it off and on a half dozen time; have tried to print a test sheet ()x97 error generated); have unplugged for 1 minute; have tried printing from both wireless connect and wired computers
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Unfortunately this error indicates a hardware problem which is considered a "fatal error" and will almost certainly require service.

This specific error pertains to a scanner pcb fault and/or logic board failure, and is a relatively common fault with these models as they age, and these machines are made for a maximum service life of 3 years.

The only thing you can try in this case is to reset the machine:

unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

If still on change, it confirms an internal fault, which requires service. Service for these is not practical either, as repairs on your own would be $200-250, while you could buy a brand new machine for half that.

Let me know how the reset goes, and I'll help with repair/replacement recommendations at that point if needed.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?