Joseph Varner
Joseph Varner,
Experience:  Enterprise Support Specialist at Arthur J Gallagher

I have a D7300. It told me the yellow cartridge needed to be

Customer Question

I have a D7300. It told me the yellow cartridge needed to be replaced so I went and purchased a new one and inserted it. It continues to tell me to replace the cartridge.
JA: How long has this been going on?
Customer: I haven't used the printer in some time, but it just started.
JA: What's the exact make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It's a D7360 and I would guess it's 10 or more years old.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: removing the cartridge, cleaning the small contact plates and the inside compartment where the cartridge is inserted.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: that's it. Thx
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Joseph Varner replied 4 months ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I am here to assist!

First question I have for you, on the cartridge, did you make sure all plastic was removed from the yellow cartridge? Usually there is a pull tab to release the cartridge inside the cartridge, to prevent the toner from drying out prior to use.

If so, what you can also do, if you have some rubbing alcohol, is put some on a paper towel or old cotton T-Shirt (a clean one), and wipe down the metal contacts on the cartridge and the print heade where it connects to.

Also do a print header clean from the HP software that usually accompanies the printer (if you don't have it, you can download it from

If this is all what you've tried before, then unfortunaely what the issue may be is a bad print header. If that ends up being the case, it usually is cheaper to replace the printer than it is to fix it.