VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

Since installing Window 10 on a Dell Studio One, I've been

Customer Question

Since installing Window 10 on a Dell Studio One, I've been unable to scan with a Pixma MG3100. I tried to install mp68-win-mg3100-1_02-ea24 but only the Canon IJ Netwwork Tool driver appears to have made it through the process. Although the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX shows up in "Programs and Features," it does not show an icon on the Desktop. Turning off the Avast firewall didn't help it to install either.
An older Dell desktop and an older still Toshiba laptop use the same printer but have not had this problem after switching over to Windows 10. (Apparently Dell did nothing about getting the Studio One ready for Windows 10.).
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 5 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. I am happy to assist you with this issue.

Where did the Driver come from?

Ok. What you can do is to install it within Windows 10 Safe Mode. Please do the following:

But before you do the above make sure that the Printer Driver is copied to the Desktop. Then the Shutdown and restart in Safe Mode.

The install should go OK from that point on.

Please get back to me if any assistance is needed?

1. Restart your PC. When you get to the sign-in screen, hold the Shift key down while you select Power > Restart.

2. After your PC restarts to the Choose an option screen, select Troubleshoot > Advanced options > Startup Settings >Restart.

3. After your PC restarts, you'll see a list of options. Select 4 or F4 to start your PC in Safe Mode. Or if you'll need to use the Internet, select 5 or F5 for Safe Mode with Networking.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
After some false starts, I finally managed to get into Safe Mode and attempt to install the Canon IJ Network Scanner Selector EX. Unfortunately, the process stopped there with this explanation: "This app can't open. Get Started can't be opened using the Built-in Administrator account. Sign in with a different account and try again."
This I don't understand since I don't have a different account (that I know of). I'm shutting down for the night and will check for your answer tomorrow.jamesomorse

Wait, did you install the Printer Driver?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I attempted to install the package of drivers provided by Canon for Windows 10 last July under the title "mp68-win-mg3100-1_02-ea24." Apparently everything gets installed but the driver for the scanner entitled "Canon IJ Network Tool Selector EX." I'm going to uninstall everything (except the registration) and try one more time to get the new drivers installed in safe mode.

Ok, Sir or Madam.

But, the Printer Driver should install in Safe Mode. The IJ Tool is for Network control of the Printer. Now the new version of the Driver includes the IJ Tool.

Will attempt to find a version without the Tool included.

Please use this link:

http://www.canon.ca/inetCA/en/serviceDetail?id=5&sid=41&mid=2200881&type=D

You want this Driver:

MG3100 series XPS Printer Driver Ver. 5.56a (Windows 10/10 x64/8.1/8.1 x64/8/8 x64/7/7 x64/Vista/Vista64) xp68-win-mg3100-5_56a-ea24.exe5.56a 22.19MB07/08/2015
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've not been able to install any of the drivers in Safe Mode because each time I get the message that the print spooler is not running. When I reboot in Regular Mode, I find that the print spooler indeed is running. Apparently, it gets turned on automatically when I boot up in Regular Mode (and gets turned off automatically when I enter Safe Mode) Anyway, the MS items still pretend to be installed in Regular Mode where they are listed in Control Panel Programs but do not appear on the Desk Top (except for IJ Network Tool). Anyway, I supposed that the MP programs should be cleared out before trying to install the xps driver, but, no, it seems it needs the MP drivers as well, so I again installed the MP batch. This time the xps driver ("Canon IJ Printer Driver") claimed to have been installed correctly. Nevertheless, there is still nothing on the Desk Top that would allow me to initiate scanning!

Ok. give me a few minutes.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll be out of town for two days.

OK, reach out to me upon your return.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've checked the printer programs in my Toshiba laptop (whose control of the printing and scanning processes appears to be perfect) and note that it has additional programs which I haven't been able to find on the Canon website. They are not listed among my downloads but were all installed on the same day in April 2016 (perhaps by Canon itself?) So, maybe there's nothing wrong with the programs I now have installed but they just need the following additional programs to help out?Canon Inkjet Printer/Scanner/Fax Extended Survey Pro
Canon Easy Photoprint EX
Canon Easy Webprint EX

OK, hold on.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I've just discovered that what was missing was the MP Navigator EX 5.0 and the Solution Menu EX. I'm now back in business.

Excellent.