Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable

I have a HP Z3200PS Model Q6721B. I bought it as a refurb.

Customer Question

I have a HP Z3200PS Model Q6721B. I bought it as a refurb. The Embedded Web Server is not functioning, when printing using post script drivers the printer returns a 61:01 Error. Have replace the formatter board, then the main pca and formatter to still have the same problem. Tried to reset the EROM and got an error stating invalid part number. It also returns an erorr when trying to do a 71:19 Recovery. I believe the file system has been corrupted and do not want to just replace the Print Mech board as fearing I will just be copying the corrupted file system. Is there a way to get a print mech board flashed with a good file system for my machine then install it and a new formatter at the same time, as to have a clean start?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your HP is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2012 Q6721B
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Replaced Formatter, Main PCA with another Formatter at same time, Tried EEROM Reset that Failed do to invalid Part Number, Tried 71:19 Recovery Failed stating Unavailable
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 4 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

If you want a special service like a reflash of your print mech board, you would have to send it to HP for that, I think.

The website for this model of printer, may perhaps list a firmware update, or reflash, from this: your computer's operating system (the computer that prints to, or is connected directly to, the printer) and see if anything is listed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have already been down that road. With the embedded web server not fully working I can not update firmware. That was my first step in the begining, maybe a firmware update would solve the whole problem. The company I bought the unit from has been great in the sense of overnighting parts to try. They are sending a new print mech board for a.m. delivery tomorrow, but I am a little worried about putting it in. According to the service manual the hard copy of the file system is stored on the print mech board and then upload to the formatter when it is replaced. I am scared that when I install a new print mech board that I will just be copying the corrupted file system back to the new print mech and then be stuck in a loop if you will.Do you know for sure that HP can create a new print mech flashed with the data for my printer?I would like to be able to install that and a new formatter at the same time. I know that usually you can not do that but my think is that if the print mech is already loaded with good clean data then it will transfer that into the new formatter.Is any of this possible?

If the print mech board is where the firmware or software is replaced from, when the mech board is replaced, then you should have no worries there.

I do not know what HP can do. I don't represent them. You'd have to contact them about it.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
The print mech comes blank and gets its data from the formatter. The print mech holds the basic operating parameters such as model, serial, type of printer, etc. The formatter has the hdd on it and comes loaded with firmware but has to learn what the machine is and gets that from the back up in the nvm on the print mech. That is why the service manual say not to replace both at the same time, because the printer would have no idea of what it is. My concern is that this unit has a corrupt file set that keeps getting transfered from the print mech to the formatter. We have replaced with 2 so far and have the same problem. I am worried that when the new print mech is installed it will have to pull its data from the current formatter that is in the machine and in doind so pull a corrupted file set. I am trying to figure out a true resolution instead of spending time just swapping parts. Any thoughts?

OK. The formatter has the HDD drive on it, then it has the OS.

That is a valid concern, then. For sure.

If you've already replaced two print mech boards, then you have a problem, if the error conditions don't change. Replacing the formatter instead - or re-doing its OS copy - might be ideal.

However... there may be an option to NOT load the print mech from the formatter. (However, this would leave the print mech blank, if it came that way, and might be no good either.) I don't know that option with this printer model, so I am Opting Out, having given what advice I can to help, so that this case will be opened to other Experts who may have the information about this model, and this situation, that you need.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank You for the quick response in this matter. Just for the record/next guy we have not replace the print mech board yet. Just the formatter once by itself and then again with the main pca/psu.