Robert M., Consultant
Experience:  30+ yrs. experience in NYC computer industry working with PC and networks, banks, brokerage, legal etc.
23372949

When I print a document with a vertical line separating

Customer Question

When I print a document with a vertical line separating columns on my MX850 printer, the vertical line is broken into segments. The text at these broken locations is chopped up. I did the automatic and the manual alignment procedures but the problem persists. How do I correct this problem?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

Hello!

Thank you for your question. I am Shefin and I look forward to helping you with your issue today.

Please try the following and let me know the response.

Remove all the ink cartridges from the machine.
Then clean the contacts on the cartridges as well as inside the machine itself. Inside means the printhead where the cartrdige seats.
Do this with a small amount of warm water on a cotton swab until no ink comes off on the swab.
If any of the other cartridges are low, empty, leaking or bulging replace them.
Then turn off the machine and unplug it for 5 minutes.
Plug it back it and wait for the insert cartridges message.
Insert the cartridges and check to see if the problem is still there.

If the issue persists, or you have any questions, please be back and let me know.

If you appreciate my service, please rate it EXCELLENT by clicking the EXCELLENT (5 Stars) and Submit. My goal is to provide you with excellent service – if you feel you have gotten anything less, please reply back, I am happy to address follow-up questions. Thank you for your business!

Thank you!

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I will try this.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

Take your time and let me know the result.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
i did what you suggested but it did not work. The problem persists.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I did the new suggestions you gave. I do not have a problem of line in a place were there should be solid colors. The print out has a problem when i attempt to print a document that has vertical lines separating columns. In stead of the line being strait down the page, the line breaks into short segments. None of you suggestions have had any impact on this problem.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

May I know the program you are trying to print from? Is it Excel?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Word and publisher.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

Are you experiencing the issue with any other programs?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
When I print the same document that is in PDF, the vertical lines are almost straight but there are characters that look almost like 1's randomly though out the page.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

When you print PDF, choose the Advanced option , and then select Print as image. Check the response.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just did this and the result is the same, no improvement.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

The issue is not with the printer. Have you checked the print preview and then, try printing with Best option?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I have checked the printer preview. It look great there. i did try Best option, it made no difference.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

May I know the operating system you are using? Is it Windows 7?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I still have the same problem. If it is not the printer, where do I go from here?
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

May I know the operating system you are using? Is it Windows 7? Lets try reinstalling the printer driver.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
How do I reinstall the printer driver?
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is Windows 7.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

Please click Start button and select Devices and Printers. Right click on the printer name and select Remove Device/Delete. Remove all the printers that you are not using.

Then, get into Control panel and select Uninstall a Program (listed under Programs). Uninstall all printer related programs listed over there. Then, restart the computer.

Then, go to the link below, download and install the latest driver (MX850 series Mini Master Setup (Windows 8.1 x64/8 x64/7 x64/Vista64)) for your printer.

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/printers/support-inkjet-printer/mx-series/pixma-mx850

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
OK I will do this and get back to you.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

Take your time and let me know the response.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Well I uninstalled all the printer related programs and downloaded the printer driver from the canon site and installed it. I printer an email with vertical boarders and the broken pattern was slightly there. When I printed it in Publish it had the same broken vertical line. In PDF the random little lines are gone but the vertical line look the same as in Publisher. Last week I did email this document as a PDF to others and they did not say they had any problems.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Shefin, what can I do now/
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

I apologize that I am out of ideas. Have your tried different pages with vertical lines?

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It is most pronounced on word and Publisher but it is there using other programs such as email.
Expert:  Shefin replied 5 months ago.

I will open the question for other experts, so that we can check if anybody has an answer.

Thank you.

S H E F I N

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Thanks,Pete
Expert:  Robert M. replied 5 months ago.

i think that we should narrow it down for sure as to whether it is the printer or the computer

can you print a nozzle check from the printer ?

menu / maintenance / nozzle check