Electronics Pete
Electronics Pete, Engineer
Experience:  HNC Computing; Large format and multifunction printer expert
30970729

Getting printer error on my HP Laserjet 5500 when I try to

Customer Question

getting printer error on my HP Laserjet 5500 when I try to print from Adobe Acrobat. (extradata) I turned the doc into a tif and pasted the first page onto a MS Word doc, which printed. But when I pasted the next page tif into MS Word, I got the same problem again. I am using the PCL6 driver, which is the latest one.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your LaserJet is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: HP Color Laserjet 5500 dn
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: I would like to be able to print directly from Adobe Acrobat. Problems began when my subscrption to Acrobat updated to the 2015 version.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Electronics Pete replied 5 months ago.

Hi there,

What is the error code you are getting?

How large is the TIF file?

Can you print ok from all other applications?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The TIF files vary from 32 to 114kb. The problem is wierdly intermitttant. I left the computer and printer on last night. This morning I tried printing an MS Word 1-page doc with one of the TIF files pasted in that woldn't print last night. It printed fine this time. So I removed that TIF file and pasted another one, which was smaller, and got the same error message again, which my printer always prints out: subsytstem: image; error: extradata; operator: ReadImage. The position changes every time. I can print text in MS Word just fine, and print from Excel and Finale, Quicken, Turbo Tax, which are pretty much the only apps. I also use Adobe Acrobat, but since it updated to the 2015 version, I often have trouble printing from that.

How exactly is the computer connected to the printer?

Can you try printing from a different printer?

I haven't heard back from you yet - please reply and let me know if you still need assistance with this.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Sorry, I'm having to go in and out of town repeatedly this week and next. My printer is connected to my home LAN through the NetGear router. Don't have another printer. I tried unplugging from the Lan and pluggin directly into the computer using the same cable, (not a printer cable) but now the computer can't even find the printer.

Ok, approximately how old is the printer?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Printer is about 12 years old. The last driver update was a PCL6

What operating system and version is your computer using?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I am using Windows 8.1 Pro.