Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.

Epson wp-7510 paper feed grabs multiple sheets every time i

Customer Question

Epson wp-7510 paper feed grabs multiple sheets every time i print. Getting worse and worse. Fresh high-quality hammermill, well fanned etc. Still a problem
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

This is a “diffuse” symptom, which simply denotes an internal fault. That can be caused by anything from debris/obstruction (paper jam, bent/damaged rails, out of place purge assembly/wiper, or dirty/dislocated encoder strip) to an actual hardware defect (bad sensor or control board, faulty carriage drive motor/gear/belt, bad printhead/carriage pcb).

What we can try here are some cleaning and reset steps.
First, open up the printer, and check for any internal debris such as scraps of paper, paperclip or staple, etc. First remove the input paper supply.

Check if you’re able to move the carriage manually, or if it moves on its own when lifting the lid. If it does move, you can proceed with cleaning by blowing out the Inside compartment with compressed air and checking carefully on both sides for any obstructions. Clean all the visible/exposed rollers and wheels with qtips and rubbing alcohol.

Then wipe down the encoder strip, which is a clear plastic strip running the width of the printer, that sits just slightly above and behind the carriage. Next take a piece of heavy paper like card stock and push that through the rollers (feed path) to dislodge any last bits of paper that may be stuck.

Slide the paper guides to the center then back out, fan the front edge of the paper stack, and replace the paper supply.

Then reset the machine:
unplug power at the wall outlet
wait 5 minutes
press and hold the power/on button for 60+ seconds
keep holding while plugging back in, and for another 60 seconds after, then release

Let me know the results, and I’ll advise further if needed.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No paper. Very clean inside. Wiped the encoder, very inky. Blew it out. Shut it off, unplug 5 min. paper tray reset etc. Restart. print first ok, second three sheets at a time. Tried again, same thing
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I mean no paper jam or shreds
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

The encoder typically doesn't get inky, if it does, that points to a leak which has likely affected a paper sensor as well.

Open up again and wipe out the bottom of the inside with papertowels to be sure no ink has pooled anywhere.

Then can you try running a few test prints, on cardstock or thicker paper, and run just a single page through at a time to get it used to finishing a print, then you can go back to check paper settings on plain paper and test further.