Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware

When I put a new magenta ink tank in my Cannon MX920 Series

Customer Question

When I put a new magenta ink tank in my Cannon MX920 Series Pixma printer, the red light on the tank doesn't lite, and the printer doesn't see the tank. But when I put the empty tank in the printer, the light blinks, meaning that (1) the tank is empty, and (2) the printer see the tank. Why won't it see the full tank?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on, a global paid independent support site.My Name is***** the printer can recognize the old cartridge then, it means the printhead is fine and the problem is with the new cartridge. This is a very common problem nowadays, as I have seen many brand new cartridges with this same defect. This is caused due to defective chip on the cartridge, there is only one solution for this problem and that just replaces the new cartridge from the store and remember to check the batch number, so that the replaced cartridge is not from the same batch, as the cartridges produced in the same batches have the same problem.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I thought it was a problem with the cartridge, so I returned it to Staples -- a different store than I bought it from -- and got a new cartridge. It has the same problem. And there was month or more between the timeI bought the first, faulty cartridge and when I got its replacement. Sadly, when the manager gave me the replacement cartridge she kept the box, so thee is no way to determine the lot number. Do I just keep exchanging it until I find one that works?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for the reply, do you use genuine Canon ink cartridge ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Soory for the delayed reply. There is no need to replace the ink any further, as it seems the problem is with the printhead and not with the cartridges. Please follow the steps below to remove the printhead from the printer then, clean the gold contacts on it with a cotton swab damapened in IP alcohol, after that reseat the printhead and check the result. If the problem persist then, unfortunately the printhead is defective and you have to replace the printhead.

1. Make sure that the power is turned on, then, holding sides of the paper output tray, gently open it.

2. Open the document cover.
    * When opening or closing the document cover, do not touch the buttons and LCD on the operation panel. Doing so may result in an unexpected operation.

3. Open the ink cover.
    The print head holder moves to the replacement position.

Do not hold the print head holder to stop or move it forcibly. Do not touch the print head holder until it stops completely.
    * Do not touch the metallic parts or other parts inside the machine.
    If the ink cover is left open for more than 10 minutes, the print head holder moves to the right. In this case, close and reopen the ink cover.
  4. Push the tab (A) on an ink tank and lift it out of the printer.

5. Remove the rest of the ink tanks from the holder.

6. After all the ink tanks have been removed from the holder, press and hold the Stop button for two seconds (or longer) until the print head carriage moves to the replacement position and then release the button.
    The carriage will move to the right and then return almost centered with the front opening.
  7. Open the the inner cover (B) and push it down all the way to the bottom.

8. Pull the Carriage Tray towards the front of the machine. You may find resistance when the bottom of the Head Set Lever hits the back of the front edge. The Head Set Lever will move forward as it slides above that front edge.

9. Use your finger tips to grab the top of the center tab and pull out the print head. You will notice the front of the print head will drop face down as you pull it out of the machine.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I doubt it is the printhead because the old cartridge -- the one that is supposedly empty -- is still in the printer and it has a (blinking) red light, and the printer is outputting color copies although without magenta.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Did you tried to clean the printhead, manually ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
No.Is it the round area at the rear of the slot that accepts the ink cartridge (ink seems to flow through from the cartridge) or the 5 electrical contacts near the front? What do I use to clean with -- a q-tip? Any solvent or liquid?
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Q-tip and IP alcohol