WesPCDr, Technician
Experience:  Over 5 years as a computer and printer repair technician

I have a Canon 5600 printer. I have a new windows 10

Customer Question

I have a Canon 5600 printer. I have a new windows 10 computer...scan app on it works fine..and puts pictures exactly where they need to be...problem is the quality is not is set at 300 dpi...I don't think that is issue. I believe it must be a setting on canon printer. .but not sure what to do.
Category: Printers
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I'm Wes, and I'll be assisting you today.

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 months ago.

The print quality is set from the computer.

When you are ready to print, click the Print button on your software.

Then the print dialog box will display.

Click Properties

In the properties window you can set the quality option

The quality option you may want to try is Photo or Best Photo

Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 months ago.

Let me know if you need additional help so I can assist further.

Also, please rate my answer below so I can get credit for my work.

Thank you.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
It's not print quality...I have not actually printed. It's the quality of the scanned pic that I view on my's for lack of better description...fuzzier and not as detailed
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 months ago.

There are two possible causes.

1. The scanner glass is dirty and needs to be cleaned. You can clean the glass to see if this helps.

2. The scanner optical sensor has gone bad and needs to be repalced. This will require either warranty replacement or a printer service technician.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
the quality issue you believe is with scanner? Because my next stop was to take my new computer back to Microsoft store and gave a tech assist me live....but if it is a scanner/canon issue..that would eliminate that.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 months ago.

Place a photo on the scanner tray and use the copy button to test the printer itself.

This will eliminate the computer and see if the issue is with the printer or computer.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
When placed on glass and copied pic looks good. When printed from scan off my computer...quality is much poorer
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 months ago.

Ok. Then it is the computer that has the quality issue.

Let's reinstall the latest drivers for your printer.

Download and install the latest drivers using this link:

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
New driver...I know what you are saying...and I know that can happen...but I've only had this brand new computer one week...that seems odd to me
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 months ago.

That is the strange thing.

It's definitely the computer. If the driver doesn't help, I would suggest taking the computer back as you mentioned.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I would like to add a follow up questions. Looking at my old computer..seems like scanned pictures come up great quality..I think it is because it goes thru my image garden....I think it is a Canon app..says canon u scan utility...for Canon mg5600 series network. How do I get that downloaded on my new computer? That seems to be the reason pictures are higher quality...
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Is there a link for Canon u scan utility? Maybe I will try that. Image garden for some reason would not allow me the scan option.
Expert:  WesPCDr replied 4 months ago.