Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware

Getting a 6C10 error code on my Canon MG8100. Went to blog

Customer Question

Getting a 6C10 error code on my Canon MG8100. Went to blog to troubleshoot, but the cleaning process looks more complicated than I think I can manage. Any suggestions?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on, a global paid independent support site.My Name is ***** ***** you try to reset the printer ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Reset as in.... go to Device Settings, the Reset setting??
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
sorry...Device Settings THEN Reset Setting
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

No, that is not the reset the process, as this is a hardware problem.Follow the steps below to reset the printer and let me know.

• Do a reset of the printer:
  • Power on
  • Hold down the "Resume" button (triangle in a circle) for 15 to 20 seconds.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There's no triangle in a circle on this printer. I apologize, it's a Canon MG8120!
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

As far as I can see the image of the printer, there is a button like that named Stop at the right side of the printer control panel.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry Sudipto, you're right about there being stop button like that. Unfortunately it's not lighting up when I power the printer on. I wish I had the manual in front of me..
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Just Hold down the "Resume" button (triangle in a circle) for 15 to 20 seconds and let me know, what happens.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Not finding it. That's the problem. Let me search the house for the manual, and then get back to you. This must be driving you crazy. I know it is for me.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Everything goes on EXCEPT the stop button.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

But, you should see the red triangle inside the circle ?

Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Just button is just below the "Stop"

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Sorry, I got interrupted here. I saw the red triangle in the circle when the printer was in scan mode, otherwise it's not there.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

When you open the printer cover, does the cartridges move to the center, automatically ?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
left of center, but yes.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

Please follow the steps below to clean the purge unit and let me know, these steps should be easier than what you got.

• Open the lid and allow the ink cartridge carrier to center itself.
  • Looking to the right, you will see a row of white rollers behind the carrier.
  • At the end of the rollers there is a small, clear piece of plastic that sticks up. Take a small piece of a paper towel and wipe all of the ink off this piece of plastic. When that is clean move on to the ink pad.
  • About 1 inch, towards the front of the printer from that piece of plastic, is a small square, about 1/2 inch per side, that is a small foam pad. This is where the excess ink is collected.
  • Take a piece of paper towel and press into the foam. Do this until the paper towel is no longer collecting ink. Close the lid, turn off the printer then turn it back on.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I'll try that Sudipto. Unfortunately I have to sign off now, but is it possible to speak with you tomorrow if I continue to have a problem? Thanks so much!
Expert:  Sudipto replied 4 months ago.

No problem, you can get back to me, whenever you are free.