Russell H., Printer and Office Tech
Experience:  11+ yrs experience, inkjets & lasers, from huge to portable
13568747

I was printing an address on an envelope and it is jammed in

Customer Question

I was printing an address on an envelope and it is jammed in the printer
JA: The tech wizards can certainly get you out of any jam. ;-) They know printers inside and out, and I'd love to connect you with the best one for the job.
Customer: Ok, what info do you need from me?
JA: Tell me a bit more about what's going on so he can help you best.
Customer: This printer has jammed before when I try to print envelopes, today it jammed 2 times and I was able to pull the envelopes out, the third time i cannot get the envelope. I cannot see anywhere to release it.
JA: Is there anything else the Printer Technician should be aware of?
Customer: It is a Workforce 600 model #C363A, do you need serial #?
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Russell H. replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for contacting JustAnswer.com. My name is Russell. I will do my best to provide the right answer to your question.

Where have you opened up the printer to look for the missing envelope? Front? back? how about the cartridge bay, from which you generally shouldn't pull jammed paper or envelopes, but it may show up there if you look.

What error message and code (if any) is showing on the printer at present?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I can see it from the back but cannot figure out how to release it. The error code said paper jam.

OK. As simple as that... I'm preparing your answer. Just a minute more...

Try turning the printer Off, wait 15 seconds or longer, then turn the printer On again. The paper may eject of itself as the printer initializes. This is one of the models that does that fairly frequently.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I had the printer off for at least 30 min. Turned it back on and nothing happened, The envelope is still visible from the back and has not moved. This has happened before when the envelope could be seen from the front and I was able to manually pull it through. This envelope is crumpled up and won't move.

OK. Not so simple then.

Support information for this model does not include any view of the back.

If it has an auto duplex feeder in back, press down on the pinch-tab, and pull it back out of the printer, freeing up the envelope to be removed.

If it has a rear hatch, pop the rear hatch loose, and similarly remove the envelope, hopefully.

Can that be done? or is this a model with a solid back?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I think this one has a solid back.

Then unfortunately, you may have to take the printer to a shop, and have techs there extract the crumpled envelope from the difficult-to-reach space it is in, with forceps or other long thin extracting tools. I'm sorry to say that, if there's no hatch-with-a-catch in back of the printer, then that's about all that's left to do.

After the envelope is extracted -without damaging the printer! - the thing to do then might be to clean the feed rollers in the printer's paper path. Having things get jammed or crumpled when jammed, is often a thing that happens when the paper path feed roller surfaces get old.

(How old is the printer?)

You can do the paper feed roller cleaning yourself - no need to hire that part out - if you would like to have some instructions on how to do so before this case and question comes to a close. ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for your time.

Thank you for asking your question here at JustAnswer.com.

Could you rate my answer, if you are done with this case, please? Thanks.

Here are instructions for cleaning the rollers in your printer, which may help prevent this problem from recurring:

Since the problem might possibly be owing to aging roller surfaces (for paper is fed into faxes and printers with rubber or plastic cylindrical rollers, that propel the sheet into or through the machine)... then you might need to clean the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not happening.

Remove all paper from the machine, unplug it, and open it so as to have access to the rollers in the problem area where feeding is not being done properly.

Take a clean high-quality lint-free rag cloth, moisten it with rubbing alcohol, and rub the rollers firmly all over their paper-contacting surfaces, three times over.

(If the rollers are hard to reach, there is another way to clean them... let me know if that is the case, and I will detail how to do the cleaning.)

Allow 5+ minutes for drying-off, then reload the paper, close up the machine where you opened it up, and then try again.