Sudipto, Engineer
Experience:  DIploma in Computer Hardware
15197395

My canon mp830 stopped printing with the 5pgbk. It was

Customer Question

My canon mp830 stopped printing with the 5pgbk. It was almost empty, so bought 2 new ones. Neither printed and returned tanks to Staples. Bought 2 more tanks at Office Max. Same problem. Ran deep cleaning several times. Inspected print head and found some black ink on edges. Have not yet cleaned since did not want to harm printhead. But, others have noted online possible problem with a "purge tube." Haven't a clue what this is or where so have not checked.
JA: Has your Canon done this before? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: This is first time. I think my mp830 was pretty new on market when I bought it. Just enoughtime for Consumer Reports to have tested it or an older "sister" mp printer.
JA: Is there anything else important you think the Printer Technician should know?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for posting your question on Justanswer.com, a global paid independent support site.My Name is***** problem you are facing is caused due to a defective or severely clogged printhead. The purge tube has nothing to do with it. Do you have tried to flush the printhead already ?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. I didn't know how to "flush" or with what.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.

Please wait, I will post the steps shortly.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No. Let's not use SRA.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for waiting. Please follow the steps below to remove the printhead then, open this LINK and follow the steps to flush the printhead. After that check the result, if there is no improvement then unfortunately, the printhead is defective and you have to replace the printhead. Let me know, if you need any further help otherwise please remember to give a positive rating, as that is the only way I am compensated for my time and effort.

1. Confirm that the printer is powered on and press the <Open> button. (The paper output tray will open.)
  2. Lift the scanning unit (printer cover) completely. (The print head will move to the replacement position.)
    Note: When the scanning unit (printer cover) is opened more than ten minutes, the print head moves to the right side. If this occurs, close the scanning unit (printer cover), and open it again.
  3. Open the inner cover.
  4. Remove the ink tanks by pressing the tab of each tank.

Caution: Handle the ink tanks with care so that your clothes and surrounding area do not get soiled. Make sure to remove the ink tanks one by one.
  5. Raise the print head lock lever.
  6. Tilt the print head slightly towards the front of the machine and lift out gently.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Next Day--Friday: Rinsed printhead in clear water (lots of black and bluish ink ran off) then, when rinse water was clearer, added bleach and soaked on papertowel overnight. Not much stain on papertowel this morning, and none when moved printhead to clean part of towel. Dried, then reinstalled printhead and ink (which had scotchtape seals overnight). Ran regular cleaning twice, then printed test page. But once again, no pgbk pattern! Physically checked ink pad on 5pgbk cartridge to make sure it hadn't dried overnight, but tissue freely drew ink from pad. Still need HELP!
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Probably adds nothing, but over past 6 months or so there has been an increasing amount of bluish ink smeared around on the outside of the plastic that forms the printing compartment that houses the printhead and cartiridges. A lot of ink smears also on the flat white cable that travels with the printhead.
Expert:  Sudipto replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for the detailed reply. Can you try to check the ink level from your PC and let me know if you can see the correct ink level for the particular cartridge or not ?