Ashik, Technician
Experience:  Bachelor of Computer Application (BCA), Professional Experience in Printers

I received a weird message from my Epson printer - Error

Customer Question

Hi - I received a weird message from my Epson printer - Error Code:0xF1
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Epson is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: wf-3620
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: nothing, it just says to turn it on and off which i've done a few times
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: no
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

Hi, I'm Ashik. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP

Expert:  Ashik replied 4 months ago.

Error 0xF1 is FATAL and it indicates that print head not being able to completely pass from the left to right side during startup. If anything is causing the print head to not travel completely from left to right during startup, this will cause the error code. Open the Printer cover and see if any plastic covers or tapes or paper pieces there obstructing the free movement of head. If so, remove them. Use a flashlight to check inside the printer.

Also take out the cartridge and put it back and check then. Turn off the printer, open the cover and gently push the head manually to left/right if it can't move freely. Don't push with excess force or it will break.

This is a mechanical problem not software glitch. If you don't find any plastics or other materials inside that is obstructing the head movement and if it still not working, then it is a hardware defect. If the printer is under warranty, then you can send it back to Epson and they will replace the parts or machine with new one.

I know this might not be the answer you want to hear and you are looking for a solution, but in this case I can only give you the reason of the problem and possible solution which will not work if this is mechanical fault.

If you have any questions or would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask