Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

HP Printer purchased less than one year ago, HP Officejet

Customer Question

HP Printer purchased less than one year ago, HP Officejet Pro 8625, will not send faxes.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble, Donald.

Can you tell me a bit more about the problem please:

1) Is this a dedicated fax line, or a shared voice/fax line?
2) Is this a landline from the local phone/cable company, or a VOIP service (vonage/magicjack/etc)
3) Do you have dsl service on the same line?

4) Are you able to RECEIVE faxes?

Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

It is imperative that you reply back to me here, on your original question only, please.

Posting new/duplicate questions costs you more and hinders my ability to reply.

Please reply back here on this page when ready.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shared voice/fax line
AT&T
No DSL
I was before this incident
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Can you test please if you are currently able to receive a fax on it, as it is important to the diagnostic process.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Shared voice/fax line
At&T
No DSL
I did before this incident
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Yes, I received your earlier reply to that effect.
I am asking you to please test receiving a fax now and report back with the results for me.

Thanks,

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Okay, ready to receive your fax.Thanks
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I'm sorry, I cannot fax you directly, that isn't what I was suggesting. I meant that I was asking for you to please have someone send you a fax to test.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Still need assistance. I have used the internal test report for the fax and received all passes. Still receive busy signals form all attempted faxes.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

I understand it passes internal tests, but I need you to specifically test receiving a fax from someone else

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The attempt to have my office send a fax a moment ago failed.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Okay, did you hear the HP ring?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No I did not.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Okay well that one could be because of a setting.

Have someone try to fax you again, and when you hear the phone/line/fax ring, go to the HP and press the black/start button, and it should initiate a manual receive.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I don't understand the black/start button. On the printer?
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Yes, on the printer

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is no black start button on my 8625
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Yes, there is, it is the black diamond shaped key, the same one you'd use to initiate a photocopy or to send a fax.
When the line rings, that should be visible (or an OK) button to start receiving the fax.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There is a screen on the right-hand side that contains windows that initiate copy, scan, fax, or apps. No black button except the round on/off switch.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

When the fax is incoming, the screen should light up and ask if you want to manually receive the fax, indicating for you to press start or ok to proceed

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
There was no light when the office tried twice to send a fax. The phone did ring and I could verify the office fax number from which they attempted to initiate.We give up. This is the third problem in less that a year with what was a reasonably expensive printer. Just give us the number to contact to exchange this malfunctioning tool for something that works.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

That is what I needed to know, and that was the entire purpose of doing this.

The internal fax modem is faulty if it will neither allow faxing out or recognize an incoming fax.

These printers are low quality and have high failure rates, seeing them last just a year or two is common.

HP will charge you to even call them to file a warranty claim, and they will charge you shipping to send it in for repairs and back. For the costs involved, and with the expectation that the repaired/replacement model would likely no better and have the same flaws, it may not be worth further investment.

If you want to pursue that though, you can call(###) ###-####/p>

You could buy a brand new printer of better quality from a more reputable brand, for about $80 with a fresh warranty.

If looking for a replacement, I’d recommend any of the Epson workforce series printers. They tend to be very reliable, are easy to set up and use, have good print quality, and reasonably priced ink. Example: http://amzn.to/208LtQk or http://amzn.to/1NYUF1P

Note that these, like all consumer grade inkjet printers, are designed to be low cost and are essentially disposable after a few years, subsidized by the high cost of ink cartridges. If you wish to have a better quality and longer lasting printer, that comes with years worth of ink up front, consider the Epson ecotank models instead: http://amzn.to/1PpOj0C

Alternately, for a more business/commercial grade product that will be rated for a 5 year life, consider a laser printer. Lasers cost more up front also, but a toner cartridge can last for thousands of pages. A black only all in one laser is around $125: http://amzn.to/1JSHOlQ

while a color model is about twice that: http://amzn.to/1n4I7Q5

--

Please note:

I am an independent technician and I've spent my personal time, unpaid, in an effort to assist with the question for which you solicited my services. This site works on the honor system, and to that end, I have prioritized working with you ahead of other paying customers.

Although you’ve already paid your fee to the site, I am only compensated for my efforts when customers such as yourself leave positive feedback for my work. I apologize this is not the outcome you had hoped for, though this is really beyond either of our control. I do hope you’ll consider leaving a 5 star rating for me, rather than “shoot the messenger”, so that I may get credit for my time spent in good faith to answer your question accurately. Rating 1 or 2, or not rating at all, does not produce a refund, it only penalizes me for trying to help.

Expert:  Nathan replied 5 months ago.

Do you need any more help with this, Donald?