VanMagnus Systems
VanMagnus Systems, Engineer
Experience:  I have more than 20 years of experience in the Printer Hardware and Software support. A+ certified.
16924516

I am trying to print something on my Brother HL'54400 and i

Customer Question

I am trying to print something on my Brother HL`54400 and i am just getting the rror light. When i click on to my printer icon (I use a Mac laptop) i get the message, 'The printer cover is open'.
What does this mean? As far as I can see, the everything is as it should be but clearly something is blocking the printer from working. I could be grateful for some help with this.
Category: Printers
Expert:  VanMagnus Systems replied 9 months ago.

Hello, and thank you for choosing JA for your support needs. Happy to assist you with this issue. What was the printer doing before this happened?

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
I am printing out a series of powerpoint lectures. The first one was fine. The printer stopped when i tried to print out the second one.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
This is the first time i have used your services. Do i sit and wait for a response from you?

Please follow the steps below:

If the LCD shows "Cover is Open" and "Close the Front Cover", go to CASE 1: Close the Front Cover.

If the LCD shows "Cover is Open" and "Close the Fuser Cover which can be found behind the Back Cover of the machine" or "Make sure there is no paper jammed inside the machine and close the Back Cover, then press Go.", go to CASE 2: Close the Fuser Cover.

For the models without the LCD:

If the LEDs indicate, as shown above, the front cover is not closed completely.
To clear the error, go to CASE 1: Close the Front Cover.

If the LEDs indicate, as shown above, the fuser cover is not closed completely.
To clear the error, go to CASE 2: Close the Fuser Cover.

CASE 1: Close the Front Cover.
Firmly close the front cover of your Brother machine.

CASE 2: Close the Fuser Cover.
Firmly close the fuser cover located behind the back of your Brother machine.

Customer: replied 9 months ago.
What do you mean by LED?I have already opened and closed the front cover; checked for a paper jam etc What i did not do before was open and close the cover at the back. I have done all this and the red 'error' light is still on and the printer not working.
Customer: replied 9 months ago.
While waiting for your response i called the people i bought the printer from. Evidently all i needed to do was replace the toner.
The printer is now working again thanks to this advice. Please refund.
******** *******

OK. Not a problem.