Nathan, Engineer
Experience:  Computer networking/repair. 12+ years experience.
59725966

I have two issues. MP500 says the print head is incorrect...

Customer Question

Hi, I have two issues. MP500 says the print head is incorrect... MP600 has a 5010 error. I wanted to change the print head but cannot access the print head on the one with the 5010 error.
JA: What's the make and model of your printer, and can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Canon MP500 and Canon MP600. Both are older printers - not under warrantee anymore.
JA: What troubleshooting have you tried?
Customer: Everything short of using a hammer and kill it for good. How can I move the printer cartridge manually? Is there a way.
JA: The printer expert can solve this for you. Anything else you want him to know before I connect you two?
Customer: how much do they charge?
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: okay
JA: OK. Got it. I'm sending you to a secure page on JustAnswer so you can place the $5 fully-refundable deposit now. While you're filling out that form, I'll tell the Printer Technician about your situation and then connect you two.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Did you already purchase a new printhead?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
No, I did not. I wanted to change the printhead from the MP600 (with error 5010) to the other printer as they are the same. Unless we can fix both issues easily then I have two printers back.
Expert:  Nathan replied 6 months ago.

Okay thank you for confirming.

These are 2 separate issues, and that would not work.

They do not use the same printhead, and are not interchangeable.

The 5010 error is a fault in the scanner system. The mp600 is beyond salvage at this point,

and even the mp500 is not going to be worth fixing. That is a 2005 model, it was designed for only a 3 year service life. Both of these machines have served their designed service life many times over and greatly exceeded any value that could be reasonably expected of them.

You would spend about as much to buy a new printhead (about $80) for it as you would to buy a whole new printer with updated features and a fresh warranty.

Even if you did replace the head, the absorber system will be at its end of life stage, rollers will be worn, cracked, dried out etc.

Neither printer is worth further investment at this point, and replacement is really your best option.

I can help you with finding parts if you'd like though, or with replacement recommendations if you'd prefer.

Best regards, ***** ***** for the news,