Dustin, Printer Repair Specialist
Experience:  A deep understanding and technical prowess in the finer points of printing and printer repair. Also worked in The US Army as A Network Switching Systems Operator/Controller

My printer is Canon PIXMA iP1600. I am getting a printer

Customer Question

My printer is Canon PIXMA iP1600. I am getting a printer message which says "waste ink absorber almost full." This keeps reoccurring every time I use the printer. I've had this printer for years and never seen this message before -- what is it all about?
Category: Printers
Expert:  Dustin replied 4 months ago.

Welcome to, my name is ***** ***** I will do my best to assist you.

That error means that the foam sponges and pads inside the printer that catch the waste ink are full and need to be cleaned, or replaced. This is something you can do by hand, but it does take a little time.

Open the lid and remove the ink cartridges, place them aside on a paper towel, on their side, do not let the jets touch the paper towel. If you have surgical or nitrile disposable gloves its advisable to wear them, or you may end up with some colored fingers for a few days. Power off the printer and unplug the power chord and then the usb chord. You will need an area (kitchen table, covered with newspapers) to take the printer to have a little working space. Open the lid. With printer lid up, you will see some plastic running horizontal with the printer ribbon, (the area I am referring to is right under where the ink cartridges slide back and forth) on the floor of the printer. If you take your finger and feel inside, you will find a very thin, narrow piece of foam in between the plastic strips. Gently remove this foam and clean it with denatured alcohol and let it completely dry before replacing. Also you should clean the plastic area with a Qtip, to remove residue of the ink. There is another piece of foam where the ink cartridges park. Once you have cleaned and replaced the other foam, close the lid and plug the power cord back in, open the lid and the ink carriage will move over. Under where the ink cartridges park is another small piece of foam pad that should be cleaned also. Replace the ink cartridges after you have cleaned the foam pad where they park and close the lid.

Unplug the unit again, now you must reset it, press and hold the power key and keep it pressed in, connect the power cord while you are holding in the on button. Let go of the power button, the printer will go through its initialization cycle. The yellow light might come on again, that's okay, just turn off your printer, wait a few seconds and turn it back on. It should work fine. Be patient and careful in removing the foam so as not to damage it.

I strive to provide great service, and greatly appreciate a 5 star rating clicked and submitted when you are satisfied.. I always answer follow up questions.

Dustin S.

Senior Technician and Network Switching Systems Operator / Maintainer.