John, Computer Science Engineer
Experience:  CompTIA A+ & Microsoft Certified Professional with 15 years of experience repairing computers and printers.

I have a Canon 3500 series S309. I am using the diagram in

Customer Question

I have a Canon 3500 series S309. I am using the diagram in the manual to change out black ink. My printer does not look like the manual diagram in that it does not have the "door" "F"in the diagram on the right that is supposed to open automatically. The ink cartridges are visible and reachable, but will not come out.
Category: Printers
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hello, I’m Nathan, and I’ll be assisting you today. My livelihood depends on your positive feedback, so your satisfaction is my highest priority.

Sorry to hear you’re having trouble.

Do you see any of the ink drop lights on the display panel of the printer flashing?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Nathan, No lights are flashing. All I want to do is remove the empty black ink cartridge and replace it. I just can't get the old one out.I fear from your question that you do not understand my problem. Please just charge me the $5.00. I never intended to go to Just Answers anyway. It happened when I finished explaining the issue on the Canon support site I hit continue and ended up on Just Answers without my knowledge or permission.
Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Hi Shirley,

I understand what you want to do, I just needed a bit more detail for clarification.

You've already paid the full agreed upon fee to the site. This is not a canon support site, but you likely ended up here by searching for canon support instead of typing it into the address bar. In either case, your printer is far past the warranty period and they would not help you anyway.

On the top of the printer, next to the lights for the ink tanks, press and hold that button for about 5 seconds, and the carriage should move into position and allow the cartridges to release.

Expert:  Nathan replied 4 months ago.

Do you need more help with this?